T.N. Vanniyar Quota- Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 2: Indian Constitution- Historical underpinnings, evolution, features, amendments, significant provisions and basic structure.
T.N. Vanniyar Quota in news
- Recently, the Supreme Court upheld the Madras High Court judgement striking down the law brought in Tamil Nadu last year providing 10.5 per cent reservation to Vanniyars.
Supreme Court’s Observation
- The SC said it was done solely on the basis of numbers without adequate data to show the relative backwardness of the Vanniyar community.
- The court also ruled that though there is no fetter placed on the power of the state to legislate, and caste can be the basis of such internal reservation, it cannot be the sole basis.
- SC said that the law did not provide any substantial basis to treat Vanniyar as a separate group compared to others among MBCs.
- Thus, the 2021 Act, providing reservation to the Vanniyar community is ultra vires the Constitution.
Key points about T.N. Vanniyar Quota
- Background:5% reservation to the Vanniyakula Kshatriya was made in commensurate with their population as enumerated in a survey held in 1983 by the Tamil Nadu Second Backward Classes Commission.
- About: The T.N Vanniyar Quota law provides10.5% reservation to Vanniyars within the Most Backward Classes (MBC) community, in government jobs and admissions to educational institutions.
- Madras HC Judgement: The Madras HC had ruled that the law brought in by the then T.N government was without quantifiable data on the socio-educational status of the Vanniyars.
Vanniyar Movement for Reservation- Story so far
- About Vanniyar: They are one of the largest and most consolidated backward communities in Tamil Nadu.
- Fight for Quota: They led massive protests in the mid-1980s demanding 20% reservation in the state, and 2% in central services.
- OBC Reservation Policy 1989: Vanniyars were categorized among the MBCs with 107 other communities, with 20% reservation.
- This partially fulfilled their demands as they wanted more share in the reservation quota.
- Vanniyar Quota law: The T.N state government passed a Bill, ensuring 10.5% reservation for Vanniyars within the 20% Most Backward Classes (MBC) quota.
- SC striking down the Vanniyar Quota Law: In the recent judgment, SC had struck down the law granting Venniyars exclusive, caste-based reservation within the MBC category.