PM Matasya Sampada Yojana: It is a government scheme to promote and develop fisheries sector in India. PM Matasya Sampada Scheme is also important for UPSC Prelims Exam 2023 and UPSC Mains Exam (GS Paper 3- Economics of animal-rearing, various initiatives taken by the government).
PM Matasya Sampada Yojana in News
Recently, Shri Narendra Modi, the Prime Minister, commended the farmers of Sirsa for demonstrating the advantages of the PM Matasya Sampada Yojana. He also stated that this endeavor signifies the empowerment of women in the country.
Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY)
Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana scheme aims to bring about Blue Revolution through sustainable and responsible development of fisheries sector in India. It has following components-
- Implementing Ministry: Department of Fisheries, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Government of India is implementing Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana.
- Mandate: PMMSY is designed to address critical gaps in the fisheries value chain from fish production, productivity and quality to technology, post-harvest infrastructure and marketing.
- Duration of the scheme: PMMSY is being implemented in all the States and Union Territories for a period of 5 years from FY 2020-21 to FY 2024-25.
- Investment: An estimated investment of Rs. 20050 crores is planned for holistic development of fisheries sector including welfare of fishers.
- Priority Areas: The Department of Fisheries has identified following 9 strategic priorities under Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana-
- Fishermen’s Welfare
- Infrastructure and Post- Harvest Management
- Aquatic Health Management
- Ornamental Fisheries
- Coldwater Fisheries
- Seaweed Cultivation
- Marine Fisheries
- Inland Fisheries
- Other Important Activities
Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana Objectives
PM Matsya Sampada Yojana scheme aims to modernize and strengthen the value chain, enhance traceability and establish a robust fisheries management framework while simultaneously ensuring the socio-economic welfare of fishers and fish farmers. Key objectives of the Matsya Sampada Yojana are-
- Harness the potential of the fisheries sector in a sustainable, responsible, inclusive and equitable manner
- Enhance fish production and productivity through expansion, intensification, diversification and productive utilization of land and water
- Modernize and strengthen the value chain including post-harvest management and quality improvement
- Double fishers and fish farmers’ incomes and generate meaningful employment
- Enhance the contribution of the fisheries sector to Agricultural GVA and exports
- Ensure social, physical and economic security for fishers and fish farmers
- Build a robust fisheries management and regulatory framework
PM Matsya Sampada Yojana Targets
Fish Production and Productivity
The following are the key objectives of the PM Matsya Sampada Yojana for fish production and productivity-
- Increasing fish production to 22 million metric tons by 2024-25 from 13.75 million metric tons in 2018-19.
- Enhancing aquaculture productivity to 5 tons per hectare from the current national average of 3 tons.
- Augmenting domestic fish consumption from 5 kg to 12 kg per capita.
Economic Value Addition
- Increasing contribution of fisheries sector to the Agriculture GVA to about 9% by 2024-25 from 7.28% in 2018-19.
- Doubling export earnings to Rs.1,00,000 crores by 2024-25 from Rs.46,589 crores in 2018-19.
- Facilitating private investment and growth of entrepreneurship in the fisheries sector.
- Reduction of post-harvest losses from the reported 20-25% to about 10%.
Enhancing Income and Employment Generation
- Generating 55 lakh direct and indirect employment opportunities along the value chain.
- Doubling the incomes of fishers and fish farmers.
PM Matasya Sampada Yojana Components
The PM Matasya Sampada Yojana is a comprehensive scheme with a total budget of Rs. 20,050 crores, consisting of two components: a central sector scheme and a central sponsored scheme.
- The central sector scheme includes both beneficiary and non-beneficiary oriented schemes, with central assistance provided to general category beneficiaries at 40% and to SC/ST/Women beneficiaries at 60%.
- The central sponsored scheme provides varying levels of central assistance to different states and Union Territories.
- Under the central sponsored scheme component, the PMMSY focuses on three main sub-components:
- Enhancing production and productivity,
- Developing infrastructure and post-harvest management, and
- Improving fisheries management and regulatory frameworks.
Overall, the PM Matasya Sampada Yojana is expected to boost the growth of the fisheries sector in India and improve the livelihoods of fishers and fish farmers.
PM Matsya Sampada Yojana FAQs
1. What is PM Matsya Sampada Yojana?
Ans. Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana is a government scheme that aims to bring about Blue Revolution through sustainable and responsible development of fisheries sector in India.
2. Which Ministry is implementing the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana.
Ans. Department of Fisheries, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Government of India is implementing Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana.
3. What is Pradhan Mantri Matsya Kisan Samridhi Sah-Yojana?
Ans. Pradhan Mantri Matsya Kisan Samridhi Sah-Yojana is a scheme to enhance further the earnings and incomes of fishermen, fish vendors and micro & small enterprises engaged in fisheries sector.
National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB)