Govt. Approves BIND Scheme To Upgrade Prasar Bharati: Prasar Bharati, as the public broadcaster of the country, is the most important vehicle of information, education, entertainment and engagement for the people, especially in the remote areas of the country. Currently, Doordarshan operates 36 TV channels including 28 regional channels and All India Radio runs more than five hundred broadcasting centres. So, the BIND scheme has a great significance for UPSC and other Examinations as it will enable the public broadcaster to undertake a major upgradation of its facilities with better infrastructure.
Read Today’s Current Affairs Bits:
Daily Current Affairs For UPSC 05 January 2023, Prelims Bits
- The Central Government has approved Central Sector Broadcasting Infrastructure and Network Development (BIND) Scheme with an outlay of over two 2,539 crore rupees up to 2025-26.
- This way the government reiterated its commitment to the development, modernization and strengthening of Doordarshan and Akashvani (Prasar Bharati) infrastructure and services, which is a continuous process.
What Are The Objectives Of BIND Scheme?
- The BIND scheme will financially support Prasar Bharati in the expansion and upgradation of its broadcasting infrastructure, content development, and civil works.
- The scheme will widen the reach in Left Wing Extremism, border, and strategic areas.
- This will also provide high-quality content to viewers.
- The Project for modernization and augmentation of broadcast infrastructure will generate indirect employment by way of manufacturing and services related to supply and installation of broadcast equipments.
- The BIND scheme will increase coverage of AIR FM transmitters in the country to 66 percent by geographical area, up from current 59 per cent, and 80 per cent by population, up from present 68 percent coverage.
NewsOnAir Radio Live-stream Global Rankings
Which Upgradations Will Be Made Through the BIND scheme?
- Through the BIND scheme, OB vans will be purchased and digital upgradation of DD and AIR Studios will be done, to make them High Definition ready.
- The FM Coverage of AIR will be increased and it will cover more than 80 percent of the country’s population.
- Eight lakh DD Free Dish DTH Set Top Boxes will be distributed to people living in remote, tribal, Left Wing Extremism, border areas, and aspirational districts.
|Did You Know?
At present, Doordarshan operates 36 TV channels including 28 regional channels and All India Radio operates more than five hundred broadcasting centres.
Know About Prasar Bharati
- Prasar Bharati is a statutory autonomous body established under the Prasar Bharati Act and came into existence on 23.11.1997.
- It is the Public Service Broadcaster of the country.
- The objectives of public service broadcasting are achieved in terms of Prasar Bharati Act through All India Radio and Doordarshan, which earlier were working as media units under the Ministry of I&B and since the above said date became constituents of Prasar Bharati.
- As the public broadcaster, Prasar Bharati, through Doordarshan and All India Radio, is the most important vehicle of information, education, entertainment and engagement for the people, especially in the remote areas.
- Recently, Prasar Bharati played a crucial role in communicating public health and awareness messages during the Covid pandemic.
Satellite Broadband Services in India