Battle of Wandiwash- Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 1: Indian History- Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues.
Background of Battle of Wandiwash
- Seven Years War (1756-63) in Europe was a result of Anglo-French which also extended to India and resulted in the Battle of Wandiwash, also known as the third Carnatic war.
- Seven years war was the result of Austrian aspiration to recover Silesia in Europe which renewed the Anglo-French Rivalry.
Events leading to Battle of Wandiwash
- Seven years war: In 1756, seven years war broke in Europe, intensifying the Anglo-French rivalry but hostility in India started only in 1757.
- Battle of Plassey 1757: British won the Battle of Plassey 1757 from Nawab of Bengal. During the course of war Britishers also snatched the Chandannagar (in Bengal) from French control.
- This irritated the French in India who were fighting for dominance in India, leading the Battle of Wandiwash in 1760.
- Battle of Wandiwash: Count de Lally led the French army captured Fort St. George and further attacked Britishers to take full control of Madras.
- However, British forces under Sir Eyre Coote defeated the French army in the Battle of Wandiwash in 1760.
- French in India lost Pondicherry, Mahe, Gingee and Karaikal to the British.
Battle of Wandiwash Treaty
- Treaty of Paris: The third Carnatic war (Battle of Wandiwash) was ended with the Paris treaty in 1763.
- Under the Paris Treaty, Chandannagar and Pondicherry were returned to France. However, they were barred from fortifying them or having troops in them.
- French could only have trading activities in India.
Significance of the Battle of Wandiwash
- Ended French Aspirations in India: it is safe to say that the Battle of Wandiwash followed by the Paris Treaty of 1763 ended the French aspirations in India.
- They were left with only a few areas and that too was to be used as only trading centers and not to be fortified.
- Made Britishers the only Dominant European Power in India: Battle of Wandiwash was one of the key successes of the British East India Company that made it the dominant European power in India.
Facts about Third Carnatic War
- The battle of Wandiwash was fought between which countries?
- The battle of Wandiwash was fought between French Army and British Army to extend dominance over India.
- When was the third Carnatic war fought?
- The third Carnatic war was fought during 1757 – 1763.
- Where was the third Carnatic war was fought?
- The third Carnatic war was fought in the Carnatic region of South India.
- Who won the third Carnatic war?
- British won the third Carnatic war in the Battle of Wandiwash.