”UPSC Prelims Bits For Today” is every day published in the morning between 11:00 AM to 12:00 Noon and contains selective current affairs articles. ”UPSC Prelims Bits For Today” covers various topics from UPSC Prelims Syllabus and is very helpful and time managing for UPSC Aspirants. The framing of this daily current affairs compilation article is easy to read and understandable also.
In the ”UPSC Prelims Bits For Today” article, we focus on UPSC Preliminary exam-oriented current affairs covering various sections from leading National Newspapers, PIB, and other various official sources.
What is Talaq-e-Hasan?
- Talaq-e-Hasan is a form of ‘triple talaq’ by which a Muslim man can divorce his wife by pronouncing ‘talaq’ at three separate intervals — the gap being at least one month or one menstrual cycle.
Is Talaq-e-Hasan against law?
Talaq-e-Hasan notice is not only “arbitrary, illegal and an abuse of law” but also a unilateral extrajudicial act, which directly infringes upon Articles 14, 15, 21, and 25 of the Constitution.
Does Muslim Marriages Act, 1939 Protect Women from Bigamy?
- The Dissolution of Muslim Marriages Act, 1939, does not protect Muslim Women from bigamy, which has been statutorily secured for other Indian women belonging to other religions.
- Bigamous marriage has been made punishable among Christians by Christian Marriage Act, 1872, amongst Parsis by Parsi Marriage and Divorce Act, 1936, and amongst Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs and Jains by Hindu Marriage Act, 1955.
- But the legislature(Muslim Marriages Act, 1939) has failed to ensure the dignity and equality of women in general and Muslim women in particular when it concerns matters of marriage, divorce and succession.
Know about Wimbledon
- Since the first Championships in 1877, Wimbledon has grown from its roots as a garden-party tournament to a Grand Slam tournament with a following of millions around the world.
- The Wimbledon Championship is one of the four major Grand Slam tournaments in tennis, US Open, Australian Open and French Open being the other three.
- Amidst the four, Wimbledon is the only one which is played in traditional grass courts while the other three take place on hard and clay surfaces.
- The event takes place over a span of two weeks, beginning in late June and early July. Following traditions, all competitors must be dressed in suitable attire which is almost entirely white.
”Performance Grading Index for Districts (PGI-D)”
- The Ministry of Education’s Performance Grading Index for Districts (PGI-D) for 2019 released on June 27, 2022, studied 83 indicators grouped in six categories.
- These categories are outcomes, effective classroom transaction, infrastructure facilities and student’s entitlements, school safety and child protection, digital learning and governance process.
- Rajasthan’s Sikar is the top performer, followed by Jhunjhunu and Jaipur in the Union government’s index for performance of school education system at the district level.
- The three districts have figured in the ‘Utkarsh’ category (scoring 81-90% on a scale of 100) with Jhunjhunu scoring the maximum (236 out of 290) in learning outcomes.
- Also, in the second grade ‘Ati-uttam’, Rajasthan is significantly ahead of the second and third top States with 24 of its districts in this category.
What are different PGI-D grades?
- The PGI-D grades the districts into 10 grades with the highest achievable grade being ‘Daksh’, which is for districts scoring more than 90% of the total points in that category or overall.
- ‘Utkarsh’ category is for districts with score between 81-90%, followed by ‘Ati-Uttam’ (71-80%), ‘Uttam’ (61-70%), ‘Prachesta-I’ (51-60%), ‘Prachesta-II’ (41-50%) and ‘Pracheshta III’ (31-40%).
- The lowest grade in PGI-D is called ‘Akanshi-3’ which is for scores up to 10% of the total points.
”National Highway Excellence Awards” 2021
- With a view to strengthen and augment the road infrastructure in the country, Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) initiated “National Highways Excellence Awards”(NHEA) in 2018 in order to incentivize stakeholders in the highway construction and maintenance process and to create a spirit of healthy competitiveness amongst them.
- The idea is to recognize and award companies for the best-performing road assets and toll plazas across the country.
- Acknowledging companies which are performing exceptionally and delivering the finest quality services during construction, operations & maintenance, innovation, greenery, tolling stages of highway development as well as in the arena of road safety.
- The aim of the award is to create world-class road infrastructure, highways, toll plazas, expressways, bridges, tunnels every day through new and innovative construction processes along with a strong focus on environmental sustainability and cleanliness factor.
- For the 2021 cycle of awards, the categories are as follows:
- Excellence in Project Management
- Excellence in Highway Safety
- Excellence in Operation and Maintenance
- Excellence in Toll Management
- Green Highway
- Bridge Construction
- Tunnel Construction