Preamble of the Indian Constitution- Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 2: Indian Constitution- Historical underpinnings, evolution, features, amendments, significant provisions and basic structure.
Preamble of the Indian Constitution
- The Preamble of the Indian constitution is a key document that was presented to the constituent assembly by Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru.
- The Preamble of the Indian constitution was laid down by Jawaharlal Nehru through his Objective resolution and was passed by the Constituent Assembly on January 22, 1947.
- The preamble to the Constitution of India is a brief introductory statement that sets out the guiding purpose, principles and philosophy of the constitution.
|WE, THE PEOPLE OF INDIA, having solemnly resolved to constitute India into a SOVEREIGN SOCIALIST SECULAR DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC and to secure to all its citizens:
JUSTICE, social, economic and political;
LIBERTY of thought, expression, belief, faith and worship;
EQUALITY of status and of opportunity;
and to promote among them all
FRATERNITY assuring the dignity of the individual and the unity and integrity of the Nation;
IN OUR CONSTITUENT ASSEMBLY this twenty-sixth day of November, 1949, DO HEREBY ADOPT, ENACT AND GIVE TO OURSELVES THIS CONSTITUTION.
Preamble of the Indian Constitution- Key Sources of Information
- Preamble gives an idea about the following-
- The source of the constitution,
- Nature of Indian state
- A statement of its objectives and
- The date of its adoption.
Preamble to the Indian Constitution
|Source of the Indian Constitution||The words, ‘We, the People of India’ in the Preamble of the Indian Constitutions reflect the source of the authority of the Indian Constitution.|
|Nature of the Indian State||The Preamble of the Indian Constitution tags India as the sovereign, secular, republic, secular and democratic nation|
|Objective of the Indian Constitution||The preamble to the Indian Constitution mentions objectives of the Indian Constitution to secure all of its citizen’s Justice, Liberty, Equality and Fraternity.|
|Adoption Date of the Constitution of India||The preamble to the Indian Constitution mentions November 26, 1949, as the date of the adoption of the Indian Constitution|
Preamble of the Indian Constitution- Other Key Facts about Preamble
1). Whether Preamble is a part of the Indian Constitution?
Answer: In the Kesavananda case, the Supreme Court of India upheld that the preamble is an integral part of the Indian Constitution and may be used to interpret ambiguous areas of the constitution where differing interpretations present themselves.
- Earlier, In Berubari Case (1960), SC held that the Preamble of the Indian Constitution is not a part of the Indian Constitution
2). Has the Preamble of India ever been amended?
Answer: The term ‘secular’ was added by the Parliament to the Preamble of the Indian Constitution by the 42nd Constitutional Amendment Act of 1976.
3). Ideals of Justice in the Preamble of India are borrowed from which country?
Answer: Ideals of Justice in the Preamble of India are borrowed from the Constitution of the Soviet Union (Russia).
4). When was the Preamble passed by the constituent assembly of India?
Answer: The Preamble of the Indian constitution was laid down by Jawaharlal Nehru through his Objective resolution and was passed by the Constituent Assembly on January 22, 1947.
5). Which was the first country in the world to include preamble in its constitution?
Answer: The U.S.A was the first country that introduced the concept of preamble through the American Constitution.