Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas 2022- Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 2: International Relations- Indian Diaspora.
Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas 2022- Context
- On the occasion of 2022 Pravasi Bhartiya Divas (PBD), Union Minister of State for External Affairs will speak at a virtual youth Pravasi Bhartiya Divas conference on the “role of Indian diaspora” in innovation and new technology.
- The Prime Minister of India has greeted everyone, especially the Indian diaspora on the occasion of Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas (PBD) 2022.
Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas 2022- Key Points
- About: Pravasi Bhartiya Divas is celebrated every year on 9th January every year. Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas is also known as the Non-Resident Indian Day.
- Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas 2022: This year Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas (PBD) is celebrated in virtual mode due to Covid-19 pandemic.
Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas- Key Points
- Historical Background: 9th January 1915 marks the day of the return of Mahatma Gandhi to India from South Africa. After his return, the freedom struggle movement in India truly became a mass movement against British rule in India.
- Origin: Since 2003, Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas (PBD) conventions are being held every year on 9th January to mark the contribution of the Overseas Indian community in the development of India.
- PBD Conventions: The format of has Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas has been revised since 2015 to celebrate the PBD once every two years and to hold theme-based PBD Conferences.
- Since 2015, govt. holds theme-based PBD Conferences during the intervening period with participation from overseas diaspora experts, policymakers, and stakeholders.
- The last theme-based PBD Conferences were held in 2021. The theme of the 16th PBD Convention 2021 was “Contributing to Aatmanirbhar Bharat”.
- Objective: Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas (PBD) celebration aims to increase the engagement of the overseas Indian community with the Government of India and also focus on reconnecting them with their roots.
- Ministry: Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas (PBD) Convention is the flagship event of the Ministry of External Affairs.
- Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas (PBD) convention provides an important platform to engage and connect with overseas Indians.
- Awards & Events: At the Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas (PBD) convention, awards such as the ‘Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award’ are given to the deserving ones for their meaningful contributions.
- Events like ‘Bharat ko Janiye Quiz’ are organized to strengthen the engagement with young overseas Indians (18-35) and encourage them to know more about their country of origin.
Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas (PBD)- Key Significance
- Ensures Participation: Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas (PBD) convention provides an open platform for NRIs to express their feelings, outlooks and perceptions about India.
- Connecting to Indian roots: Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas (PBD) convention creates a network of NRIs in all the countries of the world and connects the younger generation with immigrants.
- Promoting Development: Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas provides an opportunity for NRIs to contribute to the developmental process by infusing their ideas and experiences on their motherland i.e. India.
- Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas (PBD) event nudges NRIs to bring their knowledge and expertise to their motherland, and contribute to its growth.
- Celebrating Achievements of NRIs: PBD provides a platform to the Indian Diaspora to commemorate the achievements of individuals of Indian origin in various fields across the World.