One Ocean Summit- Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 2: International Relations- Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests.
One Ocean Summit- Context
- One Ocean Summit is being organized by France from 9 to 11 February 2022
- While Addressing One Ocean Summit, Indian PM said that India has always been a maritime civilization and its ancient scriptures and literature talk about the gifts of the oceans.
- At One Ocean Summit, he also said that the world’s security and prosperity of countries is linked to oceans.
- He also said that India is committed to eliminating single-use plastic and will be happy to join France in launching a global initiative on single-use plastics.
One Ocean Summit – Key Points
- About: The One Ocean summit is organised by France in Brest in cooperation with the United Nations and the World Bank.
- Participation: Various countries along with other stakeholders will participate in the One Ocean Summit.
- One Ocean Summit will be addressed by several other heads of states and governments from the United Kingdom, Germany, Japan, India, South Korea, and Canada.
- Key Objectives: The objective of the Summit is to mobilise the international community to take tangible action towards preserving and supporting healthy and sustainable ocean ecosystems.
- Commitments will also be made towards combating illegal fishing, decarbonising shipping and reducing plastic pollution during One Ocean Summit.
- One Ocean Summit will also focus on efforts to improve governance of the high seas and coordinating international scientific research.
- Host: One Ocean Summit is being held in light of French Presidency of the Council of European Union.
- Significance: One Ocean Summit presents an opportunity for all stakeholders to make a decisive contribution with tangible, bold, and actionable initiatives and commitments.