International Transport Forum (ITF)- Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 2: International Relations– Important International institutions, agencies and fora- their structure, mandate.
International Transport Forum (ITF) in News
- Recently, the Union Cabinet was apprised of the signing of Contract between the OECD, France on behalf of the International Transport Forum (ITF) and the Technology Information, Forecasting and Assessment Council (TIFAC), India.
About India- ITF Transport Contract
- About: Contract was signed on 6th July 2022 to support the International Transport Forum (ITF) activities on the Indian Transport Sector.
- Significance: The activities to be carried out under this Contract will lead to:
- New scientific results;
- New policy insights;
- Capacity building through increase scientific interaction
- Identification of technology options for decarbonization of transport sector in India.
International Transport Forum (ITF)
- About: The International Transport Forum at the OECD is an intergovernmental organisation which acts as a think tank for transport policy and organises the Annual Summit of transport ministers.
- ITF is the only global body that covers all transport modes. The ITF is administratively integrated with the OECD, yet politically autonomous.
- Secretariat: The International Transport Forum’s secretariatis based at the OECD in Paris (France).
- Members: The International Transport Forum (ITF) at the OECD is an intergovernmental organisation with 64 member countries.
- Mandate: International Transport Forum (ITF) aims to foster a deeper understanding of the role of transport in economic growth, environmental sustainability and social inclusion and to raise the public profile of transport policy.
- Administrative Structure: The Forum is administratively integrated into the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), but it is politically independent, and many of its member countries are not OECD members.
International Transport Forum (ITF)- Key Role
- The International Transport Forum (ITF) organises global dialogue for better transport.
- International Transport Forum (ITF) acts as a platform for discussion and pre-negotiation of policy issues across all transport modes.
- International Transport Forum (ITF) analyse trends, share knowledge and promote exchange among transport decision-makers and civil society.
- The ITF’s Annual Summit is the world’s largest gathering of transport ministers and the leading global platform for dialogue on transport policy.
Other India-ITF collaboration- DTEE Project
- About: Decarbonizing Transport in Emerging Economies’ (DTEE) project was jointly launched in India in 2020 by NITI Aayog and the International Transport Forum (ITF) of OECD.
- Significance: The ambitious five-year project will help India develop a pathway towards a low-carbon transport system through the development of modelling tools and policy scenarios.
- Decarbonization of the transport sector would create a cleaner, healthier and more affordable future for everyone.
- The DTEE project would help India translate its climate ambitions into actions.
Forum for Decarbonizing Transport Project