International Olympic Committee (IOC)- Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 2: International Relations- Important International institutions, agencies and fora- their structure, mandate.
International Olympic Committee (IOC)- Context
- Recently, India Prime Minister expressed happiness over India being chosen as the host for the 2023 International Olympic Committee Session.
- He said that it will be a memorable IOC session and will lead to positive outcomes for world sports.
International Olympic Committee (IOC) Session 2023- Key Points
- Historic Support: Mumbai (India) received a historic 99% of the votes in favour of its bid from the delegates participating in the process, with 75 members endorsing its candidature.
- IOC Session 2023 Venue: Mumbai has been officially elected as the host for the 2023 International Olympic Committee (IOC) session.
- IOC Session 2023 Timing: 2023 International Olympic Committee (IOC) session will be held in May or June next year.
- International Olympic Committee (IOC) session 2023 could possibly see the election for the host country for the 2030 Winter Olympics and sports program for LA 2028 Olympic Games.
- India will be hosting this prestigious IOC meeting for the first time since 1983.
- It is a step forward in India’s long-term goal of hosting the Olympic Games in India.
- With a strong emphasis on youth potential, sustainability, and innovation, the IOC 2023 session will be one of the first steps to showcase India’s new sporting capacity.
International Olympic Committee (IOC) Session- Key Points
- About: An IOC session is the annual meeting of the members of the IOC, comprising 101 voting members and 45 honorary members.
- Key Mandates: IOC Session discusses and decides on the key activities of the global Olympics movement including-
- Adoption or amendment of the Olympic Charter,
- The election of IOC members and office bearers and
- Election of the host city of the Olympics.
International Olympic Committee (IOC)- Key Points
- International Olympic Committee (IOC): it was created in 1894 and is the supreme authority of the Olympic Movement.
- About IOC: It is a non-governmental sports organization based in Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Mandate: International Olympic Committee (IOC) is responsible for organizing the Summer and Winter Olympic Games.