First Incredible India International Cruise Conference- Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 2: Governance, Administration and Challenges- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
First Incredible India International Cruise Conference 2022 in news
- Union Minister of Tourism, Culture and the Development of the North-eastern Region (DoNER) took part in various discussions on tourism related themes during the first Incredible India International Cruise Conference 2022.
- He addressed the participants about the various tourism related themes and discussions that included Potential of River Cruising and Cruise Tourism: Success Stories and Destination Development.
First Incredible India International Cruise Conference 2022
- About: the two-day Incredible India International Cruise Conference showcased abundant business opportunities in the country’s cruise tourism sector.
- Objectives: Incredible India International Cruise Conference aims to-
- Showcase India as a desired destination for cruise passengers,
- Highlight the regional connectivity,
- Promote building of new destinations and attractions like lighthouses and d\
- Disseminate information about India’s preparedness for developing the cruise tourism sector.
- Organizing Ministry: First Incredible India International Cruise Conference 2022 is being organized by the Ministry of Ports, Shipping & Waterways.
Tourism Industry in India- Steps Taken
- A dedicated task force has been formulated on Cruise Tourism jointly by the Ministry of Tourism and the Ministry of Shipping.
- Sagarika: It was recently inaugurated which is the International Cruise Terminal in Kochi. It will cater to over one lakh guests.
- Central Financial Assistance Scheme of Union Government has been supporting Tourism Infrastructure Development for-
- Developing ports and cruise Terminals,
- Development of Lighthouses,
- Purchase of ferries and Development of river cruise circuits etc.
- Union Ministries and departments are also involved in-
- Development of policy frameworks,
- SOPs for management and Operation of cruise in international, domestic/coastal and river cruise sectors.
- Three Major Scheme for development of Tourism Infrastructure: SWADESH DARSHAN, PRASHAD and Central Financial Assistance are the three major central government schemes for the development of tourism sector in India.
Swadesh Darshan scheme
- About: Swadesh Darshan Scheme is a Central Sector Scheme launched in 2014-15 for the integrated development of theme-based tourist circuits.
- Swadesh Darshan scheme is an initiative taken by the government to enrich the tourist experiences and to enhance opportunities and promote lesser-known destinations.
- Parent Ministry: Swadesh Darshan scheme is being implemented by the Ministry of Tourism and Culture, Government of India.
- Objective: Swadesh Darshan scheme aims to promote, develop and harness the potential of tourism in India.
- Funding: Under the Swadesh Darshan scheme, the Ministry of Tourism provides Central Financial Assistance to State Governments and Union Territory Administrations for the infrastructure development of circuits.
- Significance: Swadesh Darshan scheme is envisioned to synergize with other schemes like Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, Skill India, Make in India, etc. with the idea of positioning the tourism sector as-
- A major engine for job creation,
- The Driving force for economic growth,
- Building synergy with various sectors to enable tourism to realize its potential.
About PRASHAD Scheme
- About: National Mission on Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual, Heritage Augmentation Drive (PRASHAD) scheme was launched by the Ministry of Tourism with a special objective of holistic development of pilgrimage and heritage destinations.
- Identification of Sites: Through this drive, 57 sites are identified in 29 states and union territories.
- Iconic Tourist Sites- Buddhist Sites at Bodhgaya, Ajanta & Ellora, etc. have been identified to be developed as Iconic Tourist Sites.