E-GOPALA Portal- Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 3: Indian Agriculture: e-technology in the aid of farmers.
E-GOPALA Portal in News
- Recently, the Department of agriculture and farmers welfare has developed an android and web-based application called “e- GOAPLA” Portal.
What is E-GOPALA Portal?
- About: E-GOPALA Portal is a digital platform to help dairy farmers for managing their animals. E-GOPALA Portal was launched in 2020 for direct use by farmers.
- E-GOPALA Portal is available in 12 languages viz. Hindi, Gujarati, Marathi, Odiya, Kannada, Malayalam, Punjabi, Telugu, Bengali, Tamil, Assamese and English.
Key Benefits of E-GOPALA Portal
- E-GOPALA Portal helps farmers to formulate balanced ration for dairy animals using locally available feed ingredients.
- This helps in optimizing the feed costs while increasing productivity and reproductive efficacy.
- E-GOPALA Portal helps farmers in the management of nearly 29 common ailments of dairy animals e.g. mastitis, indigestion, diarrhoea etc. using Ethno-Veterinary Medicine (EVM).
- This section also contains videos in various languages on disease management protocols through Ethno- Veterinary Medicine.
- E-GOPALA Portal provides digital platform for buying/selling of dairy animals, information on source of quality semen doses available for various breeds of cattle and buffaloes and contact details for availability of IVF embryos and sex-sorted semen.
- E-GOPALA Portal also provides real-time information on breeding, nutrition and health of their animals from INAPH.
- E-GOPALA Portal provides timely alerts on due date for vaccination, pregnancy diagnosis, calving etc. as well as information about various schemes on dairying and animal husbandry.
- Farmers can also directly connect to call centre for their queries on animal health, nutrition and breeding through E-GOPALA.
Other key steps taken by Government
- The Animal Welfare Board of India (AWBI) provides financial assistance to the recognized Gaushalas/ AWOs/ NGOs/ SPCAs and Local bodies for-
- Establishment of new animal Shelter House,
- Maintenance of animal shelters, animals medicines,
- Purchase of medical equipment and conducting of veterinary camps etc. and
- Rescued cattle maintenance grant for maintenance of the animals rescued from illegal transportation/ slaughter-houses and Provision of Ambulance Services for animals in distress.
- Under Rashtriya Gokul Mission, the Government of India has been promoting the use of sex-sorted semen for the production of female calves with 90% accuracy.
- The extensive use of sex-sorted semen will limit the stray cattle population in the country.