Climate Equity Monitor- Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 3: Environment- Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation.
Climate Equity Monitor- Context
- India welcomed the going live of the website “Climate Equity Monitor” on global climate policy.
- Climate Equity Monitor focuses on equity and climate action from a data and evidence-based perspective.
- Climate Equity Monitor will encourage a vigorous discussion on this crucial issue and engage experts from all countries.
Climate Equity Monitor- Key Points
- About: Climate Equity Monitor provides an online dashboard for assessing, at the international level-
- Equity in climate action,
- Inequalities in emissions, energy and resource consumption across the world, and
- Ongoing climate policies of several countries.
- Development: Climate Equity Monitor has been conceptualized and developed by independent researchers from India. Agencies involved are-
- The Climate Change Group at the M.S Swaminathan Research Foundation (MSSRF), Chennai, and
- The Natural Sciences and Engineering department at the National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS) Bengaluru.
- Key Mandate: Climate Equity Monitor aims to monitor the performance of Annex-I Parties under the UNFCCC (developed countries).
- The monitoring will be based on the foundational principles of the Climate Convention- equity and the principle of common but differentiated responsibilities and respective capabilities (CBDR-RC).
- The performance and policies of the Non-Annex-I Parties (developing countries) will be also provided for comparison.
Sowing Better to Eat Better- Transforming Agri-food Systems for Better Production, Nutrition, and Environment
Climate Equity Monitor- Significance
- Equitable sharing of the global carbon budget: will progressively appear on the Climate Equity Monitor website that is the fundamental equity principle for assessments.
- Existing “tracking” websites on climate policies are based in the global North and routinely do not address the crucial aspects of equity and differentiation.
- Awareness generation: Climate Equity Monitor strives to build awareness, especially among the public of the global South, that climate action is a global collective action problem.
- Changing the Narrative: Climate Equity Monitor intends to debunk the narrative provided by many developed countries and global non-government organizations.
- They focus attention continually on what developing countries must do, constantly demanding greater commitment and action from them.
- Climate Equity Monitor website is expected to be a valuable tool for-
- Policymakers, public institutions, researchers, academics, students, and the general public from developing countries.
- It will help them to keep equity and climate justice considerations clearly in view from their perspective.