Toilets 2.0 Campaign UPSC Relevance
Toilets 2.0 Campaign: Toilet Campaign aims to promote use of toilets among people especially in public/community toilets in urban areas. Toilets 2.0 Campaign is important for UPSC Prelims 2023 and UPSC Mains Exam (Governance initiatives to promote health and welfare of people, especially the vulnerable section of the population)
Toilets 2.0 Campaign in News
- The recently launched Toilets 2.0 campaign gains momentum as Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) and Citizens join hands to transform public/community toilets in urban areas.
Toilets 2.0 Campaign
- About: Toilets 2.0 campaign was launched on the occasion of the World Toilet Day 2022. The six-week long campaign aims to make toilets functional, usable, and aesthetic.
- Objective: The Toilets 2.0 campaign aims to change the face of public and community toilets in urban India through collective action involving citizens and Urban Local Bodies.
- Thematic Areas: The campaign has five thematic areas-
- People for Toilets: Cleaning and maintaining the community and public toilets
- Partners for Toilets: Adoption of Public toilets
- Design Toilets: Design Challenge
- Rate your Toilet: Promoting user feedback to improve public toilets and
- My thoughts – Our Toilets: Gathering public opinion for toilets
- Participation: The Toilets campaign is witnessing the large-scale mobilization of citizens, NGOs, private sector by Urban Local Bodies to refurbish public and community toilets.
- Evaluation and Recognition: The performance of the cities in the Toilets 2.0 campaign will be evaluated and top performing cities will be recognised by MoHUA.
Toilets 2.0 Campaign Thematic Areas
- People for Toilets: It is an inter-city competition, envisaged for cleaning and maintaining the community and public toilets in which top-performing cities will be recognized.
- This will be evaluated based on the proportion of CTs and PTs improvement and the scale of public engagement.
- Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) have been mobilizing enthusiastic citizens to clean and maintain public/community toilets under the People for Toilets theme.
- Partners for Toilets: It aims to forge partnerships with potential organizations for the adoption of community and public toilets for interim cleaning, annual operations and maintenance, one-time financial aid, IEC activities, beautification activities, innovation, feedback etc.
- The partnerships, including public private partnership models, corporate sponsorship etc. should provide impetus for sustainability of the functionality of the Community and Public toilets in cities and enhancing toilet users experience.
- ULBs are seeking to engage Partners for Toilets in the operation and maintenance of public/community toilets, to provide-
- One–time financial support
- Periodic/recurring on-demand cleaning
- Adoption of toilets for a year and
- Annual operations and maintenance
- Design Toilets (Design Challenge): it is being organized in collaboration with the Council of Architecture through which design entries will be invited from students of architecture and practicing architects for aspirational toilets in the two categories of Public toilets and Community toilets.
- Based on the entries received, top designs will be selected and created into a compendium for cities’ consideration to adopt the designs.
- Professional architects/urban designers and students are submitting innovative designs for public and community toilets under the Design Toilets Challenge
- Rate your Toilet: it is for promoting user feedback to improve public and community toilets.
- My thoughts – Our Toilets: It is a general public survey among citizens on public toilets across the country.
- A questionnaire on citizen aspiration for toilets will be available on MyGov platform for the public to answer.
- The results from the survey are expected to help States and cities to understand gaps and provide course corrective measures.
- AChampion of Change certificate will be rewarded to the participants at the end of the survey.
Toilets 2.0 Campaign FAQs
- What is Toilets 2.0 Campaign?
Ans. Toilets 2.0 Campaign aims to make toilets functional, usable, and aesthetic.
- What are the thematic areas under Toilets 2.0 Campaign?
Ans. Toilets 2.0 Campaign is being organized under following five thematic areas- People for Toilets; Partners for Toilets; Design Toilets; Rate your Toilets; My Thoughts – Our Toilets.
- Who all are participating Toilets Campaign?
Ans. The Toilets campaign is witnessing the large-scale mobilization of citizens, NGOs, private sector by Urban Local Bodies to refurbish public and community toilets.