Digital India BHASHINI Platform- Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 2: Governance, Administration and Challenges– Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
Digital India BHASHINI Platform in News
- Recently, Minister of State for Electronics and Information Technology (Meity) held Brainstorming with Researchers & Start-ups to shape strategy for Digital India BHASHINI – India’s AI led language translation platform.
Digital India BHASHINI Platform
- About: Bhashini is a digital platform that acts as an orchestrator to unify and align a large diverse network across government, industry, academia, research groups and start-ups to bring all their contributions into an open repository.
- Mandate: Bhashini aims to build a National Public Digital Platform for languages to develop services and products for citizens by leveraging the power of artificial intelligence and other emerging technologies.
- Connecting India: Whereas BharatNet & 5G shall catalyze the ‘connecting all Indians’ to Internet goal, initiatives like Bhashini shall ensure that the citizens consume the internet and Digital Government service in their own languages.
- Enabling access to knowledge resources, and digital empowerment of the citizens is of high priority to achieve the goals of Digital India.
- Implementing Ministry: Digital India BHASHINI Platform is being implemented by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (Meity).
Significance of Mission Digital India BHASHINI
- Catalysing Entrepreneurship: A Bhashini Platform will make Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Natural Language Processing (NLP) resources available to MSMEs, Start-ups and Individual Innovators in the public domain.
- Multi-linguality presents a major opportunity to start-ups for developing innovative solutions and products that can cater to all Indian citizens irrespective of the language they know.
- Breaking the Language Barrier: Digital India BHASHINI mission aims to empower Indian citizens by connecting them to the Digital Initiatives of the country in their own language thereby leading to digital inclusion.
- Promoting Digital Government: The Bhashini platform is interoperable and will catalyze the entire Digital Ecosystem. It is a giant step to realize the goal of Digital Government.
- Creating Ecosystem for Products in Local Languages: Mission Digital India Bhashini will create and nurture an ecosystem involving Central/State government agencies and start-ups, working together to develop and deploy innovative products and services in Indian languages.
- Increased Digital Content in Indian Languages: Mission Digital India Bhashini also aims to increase the content in Indian languages on the Internet substantially in the domains of public interest, particularly, governance-and-policy, science & technology, etc.
- This will encourage citizens to use the Internet in their own language.