MGNREGA UPSC:- Key points
- Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS) is a demand driven wage employment programme of Ministry of Rural Development.
- So, no State/UT-wise financial allocation is made.
- The National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (NREGA), also known as National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (NREGS) was enacted on August 25, 2005.
- NREGA was renamed to MGNREGA (Mahatma Gandhi NREGA) in 2008.
- The central Government bears 100% of the cost in case of unskilled labour.
- While it bears 75% of the cost in case of semi-skilled and skilled labour.
- One third of the total beneficiary should be women.
- There should be a mandatory social audit in not more than 6 months.
- Total permissible work is 261 and 161 among these are related with agriculture
- The employment will be provided within a radius of 5 km.
- However, if it is above 5 km extra wage will be paid.
- MGNREGA provides a legal guarantee for one hundred days of employment in every financial year to adult members of any rural household willing to do public work-related unskilled manual work at the statutory minimum wage.
- For regions affected by natural calamity or draught, 150 days of work will be provided.
- The Ministry of Rural Development is monitoring the entire implementation of this scheme in association with state governments.
- MGNREGA was introduced with an aim of improving the purchasing power of the rural people, primarily semi or un-skilled work to people living below poverty line in rural India.
- It attempts to bridge the gap between the rich and poor in the country.
- Adult members of rural households submit their name, age and address with photo to the Gram Panchayat.
- The Gram Panchayat registers households after making enquiry and issues a job card.
- The MGNREGA job card contains the details of adult member enrolled and his /her photo.
- Registered person can submit an application for work in writing (for at least fourteen days of continuous work) either to Panchayat or to Programme Officer.
- The Panchayat/Programme officer will accept the valid application and issue dated receipt of application, letter providing work will be sent to the applicant and also displayed at Panchayat office.
- Electronic-Saksham or e-Saksham is a Massive Open Online Course developed primarily for building the capacities of MGNREGS technical functionaries (Gram Rozgar Sevak, Barefoot Technician, Technical Assistant, engineer etc.) nationwide on the GIS based planning process.