Khelo India Scheme- Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 2: Governance, Administration and Challenges- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
Khelo India Scheme- Context
- The Union Government has increased the allocation by 48% for the Khelo India Scheme in the Union Budget 2022-23.
- The government has decided to continue the Scheme of “Khelo India – National Programme for Development of Sports” over the 15th Finance Commission Cycle (2021-22 to 2025-26) at an outlay of Rs 3165.50 crore.
Khelo India Scheme- Key Points
- About: The Khelo India Scheme was launched in 2017 with a mandate for the identification of talent and nurturing sporting talent to attain the highest levels of achievement at international levels.
- The primary focus of the Khelo India Scheme is to create a national-level platform for the athletes to showcase their talent and to identify them for further grooming and financial support.
- Parent Ministry: Khelo India Scheme is the flagship Central Sector Scheme of the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports.
- Objective: Khelo India Scheme aims at infusing sports culture and achieving sporting excellence in the country thus allowing the populace to harness the power of sports through its cross-cutting influence.
- Coverage: Khelo India Scheme covers pan India i.e. both urban and rural areas.
- Under Khelo India Scheme, India is divided into seven zones namely North, East, West, South and North-East Zones to carry out talent identification.
- Key Activities: The Khelo India program includes-
- Playfield development;
- Community coaching development;
- Promotion of community sports;
- Establishment of a strong sports competition structure at both school and university level as also for rural/indigenous sports, sports for persons with disability and women sports;
- Filling up of critical gaps in sports infrastructure, including the creation of hubs of sports excellence in select universities;
- Talent identification and development;
- Support to sports academies;
- Implementation of a national physical fitness drive for school children; and
- Sports for peace and development.
Khelo India Program- Key Components
Various components of the Khelo India Scheme have been rearranged and rationalized into the following five components-
- Creation and Upgradation of Sports Infrastructure
- Sports Competitions and Talent Development: ‘Khelo India Winter Games’ have been included under the ‘Sports Competitions and Talent Development’ component.
- Khelo India Centres and Sports Academies
- Fit India Movement: It has been introduced as a separate and dedicated component.
- Promotion of Inclusiveness through Sports