What is UGC NET?
University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test (UGC NET) is a national-level exam conducted in order to determine the qualified candidates for Assistant Professor or both Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and Assistant Professor post in Indian universities and colleges. National Testing Agency (NTA) has going to conduct the UGC NET exam.
UGC NET & JRF 2023: Overview
UGC NET & JRF Exam are the same exams conducted by NTA. The only difference is that you need more marks for JRF as compared to NET. UGC NET 2023 is out on the official website, candidate wants to know more about UGC NET. The details has been mentioned in below table.
|1.||Tenure of JRF||3 years|
|4.||UGC NET Online Application procedure||UGC NET Official Notification|
UGC NET vs JRF
UGC NET and JRF is one of the most popular exams started by the University Grants Commission (UGC). UGC NET & JRF exam is now conducted by NTA (National Testing Agency) twice a year, i.e., during the months of June and December/January. If you qualify for the UGC NET Exam then you are eligible for Assistant Professor or both Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and Assistant Professor post in Indian universities and colleges. When you qualify JRF Exam which is generally 5%-7% more than the UGC NET Cut off.
The candidates who qualify for the award of JRF are eligible to pursue research in the subject of their post-graduation or in a related subject and are also eligible for Assistant Professor. The universities, institutions, IITs, and other national organizations may select the JRF awardees for full-time research work in accordance with the procedure prescribed by them.
UGC NET Eligibility 2023
The basic criteria that candidates must fulfill to meet UGC NET eligibility 2023 are:
- Candidates should secure at least 55 percent aggregate marks in post-graduation
- Candidates should not be more than 31 years of age in order to be eligible for JRF [Only for this Exam]
- There is no age restriction to apply for the post of Assistant Professor
- A relaxation of five percent in educational qualification is given to reserved category candidates
- A relaxation of five years in age criteria is given to reserved category candidates
- Candidates who have cleared State Eligibility Test (SET) before June 1, 2002, are exempted from taking the UGC NET exam
UGC NET & JRF CutOff Marks 2023
In order to be considered for the award of JRF and/or eligibility for Assistant Professor, candidates need to score the minimum marks as discussed below:
|Category||Minimum Marks (%) to be obtained|
|General||40% aggregate marks in both the papers taken together|
|Other Backward Class-Non-Creamy Layer (OBC-NCL)/Persons with Disability (PwD)/Scheduled Caste (SC)/Scheduled Tribe (ST)||35% aggregate marks in both the papers taken together|
- The number of candidates who declared UGC NET qualified in any subject for a particular category is derived as per the methodology given below:
|Example: Number of candidates to be declared qualified for Eligibility for Assistant Professor in the subject ‘Economics’ for the Scheduled Caste (SC) category||Number of candidates belonging to SC category who secure at least 35% aggregate marks in both the papers taken together for SC category for ‘Economics’ (x) Total slots derived for SC category as per Step II (÷) Total number of candidates belonging to SC category overall subjects who secure at least 35% aggregate marks in both the papers taken together|
The aggregate percentage secured by candidates in the two papers corresponding to the number of slots shall determine the qualifying cut-off for eligibility for Assistant Professor in Economics for the SC category. Similarly, cutoffs shall be decided for all subjects and categories.
- All candidates (who had applied for both Assistant Professor and JRF) out of the total number of qualified candidates derived in Step IV, shall be considered for JRF
- A total number of slots available for awarding JRF is allocated among different categories as per the reservation policy of the Government of India. The procedure for subject-wise cum category-wise allocation of JRF slots is mentioned below:
|Example: Number of candidates to be declared qualified for JRF & Eligibility for Assistant Professor Both in the subject ‘Economics’ for the Scheduled Tribe (ST) category||Number of candidates belonging to ST category who have opted for JRF and have qualified for Eligibility for Assistant Professor Both in the subject ‘Economics’ (x) Total JRF slots available for ST category (÷) Total number of candidates belonging to ST category overall subjects who have opted for JRF and have qualified for Eligibility for Assistant Professor|
The aggregate percentage secured by candidates in both the papers corresponding to the number of JRF slots shall determine the qualifying cut-off for JRF in Economics for the ST category. Similarly, cutoffs shall be decided for all subjects and categories.
|UGC NET 2023|
|UGC NET 2023 Notification||UGC NET New Syllabus|
|UGC NET Previous Year Papers||UGC NET Teacher Salary|
|UGC NET Admit Card||UGC NET Answer Key|
|How to Prepare UGC NET?||UGC NET Result|