IG or IGP is an abbreviation used for the Inspector General of Police. Unlike the recent uses of IG, which stands for Instagram, Inspector General of Police is a rank for a senior officer in the department of police.
IG Full Form: Who is an IG (Inspector General of Police)?
Inspector General of Police or IG or IGP are either a senior officer with a large regional area to command or they might be the head of the entire country’s police. The role of an IG depends upon country to country. For example, in countries like Bangladesh, Kenya, Malawi, Uganda, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Malaysia and Ghana, an IG is the title held by the head of the nation’s police. Meanwhile, in modern India, an IG comes as the third-highest rank holder in the hierarchy of state police.
Read About IT Full Form
IG Full Form: Let’s take a look at the history
The rank of an IG was the senior-most rank in the Superior Police Services (later- Imperial Police Services), when the British government had introduced the Indian Council Act 1861. The Indian Council Act of 1861 was introduced to change the executive system of governance in India to a cabinet run on a portfolio system.
Moreover, in the same Indian Council Act 1861, a new cadre of police, Imperial Police Services was created. Imperial Police was also a part of the police force then, known as Indian Police Services. This new cadre was created after the British faced the 1857 rebellion.
However, later in the year 1948, the Imperial Police Service was replaced by the Indian Police Service.
Read About ITI Full From
IG Full Form: Appointment
To be an IG, first it’s mandatory to pass the Civil Service Exams conducted by the Union Public Service Commission or State Public Service Commission. If one has passed the UPSC exam, they can be an IPS and then they are posted as SP. From the post of an SP, one gets promoted after 14 years of service, to become a DIG. It then takes about 3-5 years to get promoted to IG.
While, if someone passes the State PCS Exam then the one gets to be a DSP, and then about 10-15 years after one becomes SP. A few years later, one gets promoted and becomes DIG. Then in the last stage of the career they can be an IG.
An IPS officer, who has completed nineteen years of their service are also qualified for the rank of an IG. Further, when the President of India nominates and the senate confirms, an IG is then chosen.
Read About NTPC Full Form
IG Full Form: Roles
- The works of the office of IG includes reviewing allegations or reports of wrongdoings. They are also supposed to check if some contractors or workers are involved in fraud or abuse.
- The IG of a zone acts as a conduit between the DGP and the District office.
- He ensures that the police of the several ranges or districts under his charge work together.
- He has the authority to command, advise, or provide orders to DIGs and SP in his area so that they are aware of and do not supersede one another in their assigned tasks.
- In an emergency, he can overcome Range DIG and SP and seize complete control of the situation.
- He gives special attention to the training of Armed Reserves so that the police forces can retain a high degree of efficiency and discipline. He is also in charge of maintaining discipline among all ranks of officers.
- In serious cases, he can guide and instruct his range DIGs and Superintendents of Police, as well as to conduct personal investigations.
- He gives DGP and SP under him, copies of his tour programmes.
IG Full Form: Hierarchy
The rank of an IGP comes third from the top, in the state police hierarchy. Above an IG is the ADGP or Additional Director General of Police. A Special Director General of Police or SDGP is the highest-ranking police officer in a state.
The DIG or Deputy Inspector General of Police is a high-ranking police officer, who works under the office of IG.
|CBSE Full Form||ICSE Full Form|
|CEO Full Form||SOP Full Form|
|AM Full Form||PM Full Form|
FAQ’s about IG Full Form
Whom does an IG of police report to?
In India, an IG reports to the senior officer, here in the case, DGP or Director General of Police.
Moreover, an IG in Kenya, who is also a member of National Security Council, directly reports to the President of India.
Who is higher IG or ADGP?
In the rank hierarchy of police in a state, ADGP or Additional Director General of Police is the rank above an IG or Inspector General of Police.
What are the powers of an IG?
An IG commands a police range. A police range might comprise of 4-5 districts or more and from which, the SPs of all those districts report to him.
The IG then reports to DGP or Director General of Police.
Does IG stand for Instagram?
Well, in the world of social media and chatting language, Ig stands for Instagram. However, IG is a form a abbreviation used for Inspector General of Police.
An IG is a regional command of a number of districts in a state, in India. However, in some countries, including Kenya, Uganda, Malaysia, Nepal, Bangladesh and others, an IG is the head of national police.