Longest Bridge in India
India’s Longest bridge- Did you know what is the longest Bridge in India? Here we will know the largest Bridge in India, its specifications along with some important bridges. A bridge is a building which is designed to overcome obstacles such as a body of water, a valley, a road, or a rail on the path. Bridges are designed to allow passage over the obstruction, which is typically something that is otherwise challenging or impassable.
One of the main factors for the developed country is its road infrastructure. Bridges are a segment of road infrastructure. Bridges have directly or indirectly contributed to the economic growth of a country. There are many bridges are present in India. Some of the bridges are under construction.
Longest River Bridge in India 2022
Bridge infrastructures are directly one of the backbones of India’s rapid growth. An essential component of India’s national infrastructure is bridging. Bridges are primarily used to facilitate travel and link disconnected locations, also avoid traffic. There are several bridges present in India. The largest bridge in India is Bhupen Hazarika Setu, also known as Dhola Sadiya Bridge, which is a 9150-meter-long bridge that spans the Lohit river in Tinsukia, in the state of Assam. This bridge was inaugurated by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi Nitin Gadkari (Minister of Road Transport and Highways) On May 26, 2017,
Top 10 longest River and Railways bridges in India List
Here is a list of some Important longest bridges provided along with their length and location.
|Serial no.||Name||Length( in Kms)||Year of opening||Type||Connecting||Place|
|1||Dr. Bhupen Hazarika Bridge||9.15 KM||2017||Road||Assam and Arunachal Pradesh||Lohit River, Tinsukia, Assam|
|2||Dibang River Bridge||6.2 Km||2018||Road||Arunachal Pradesh||Dibang River|
|3||Mahatma Gandhi Setu||5.75 KM||1982||Road||South Patna to Hajipur||Ganga, Patna, Bihar|
|4||Bandra-Worli Sea Link (BWSL)||5.57 KM||2009||Road||Bandra to Worli (South Mumbai)||Mahim Bay, Mumbai|
|5||Bogibeel Bridge||4.94 KM||2018||Rail-cum-road||Dhemaji to Dibrugarh||Brahmaputra River, Assam|
|6||Vikramshila Setu||4.70 KM||2001||Road||Bhagalpur to Naugachia||Ganga, Bhagalpur, Bihar|
|7||Vembanad Rail Bridge||4.62 KM||2011||Rail-cum-road||Edappally to Vallarpadam||Vembanad Lake, Kochi, Kerala|
|8||Digha–Sonpur Bridge||4.55 KM||2016||Rail-cum-Road||Digha, Patna to Sonpur, Saran||Ganga, Patna, Bihar|
|9||Arrah–Chhapra Bridge||4.35 KM||2017||Road||Arrah to Chhapra||Ganga, Saran, Bihar|
|10||Godavari Bridge||4.13 KM||2015||Rail-cum-Road||Kovvur to Rajahmundry||Godavari river, Rajahmundry, Andhra Pradesh|
|11||Munger–Ganga Bridge||3.69 KM||2016||Rail-cum-Road||Munger to Jamalpur||Ganga, Munger, Bihar|
Longest Bridge in India: Top 5 Longest bridges in India Details
Dhola Sadiya Bridge, also known as Dr. Bhupen Hazarika Bridge, is the longest bridge spanning a body of water. After the Dr. Bhupen Hazarika Bridge, the Dibang River Bridge is the second-longest bridge in India that is above water. Let’s explore the top five longest bridges in India.
1. Dhola Sadiya Bridge,Assam
Dhola Sadiya Bridge or also known as Dr Bhupen Hazarika Bridge is the longest bridge in India. This bridge is situated in the state of Assam.
•The bridge connects the villages of Dhola and Sadiya in Assam’s Tinsukia district across the Lohit River, a significant tributary of the Brahmaputra.
• Total length of the Dhola Sadiya bridge is 9.15 km and the width is 12.9 m which links two the northeast states Assam and Arunachal Pradesh of India.
• On May 26, 2017, Nitin Gadkari (Minister of Road Transport and Highways) and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi opened the bridge. Bhupen Hazarika, an Assamese artist and filmmaker, is honoured with a bridge bearing his name. The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways looks after this bridge.
2. Dibang River Bridge, Arunachal Pradesh
Dibang River Bridge is the second longest bridge above water in India. This bridge is a component of the NH13 Trans-Arunachal Highway and measures 6.2 kilometres in length. This bridge came into operation from the year of 2018.
• Dibang River Bridge is situated in the Lower Dibang Valley of Arunachal Pradesh.
•The Dibang River Bridge spans the Dibang River in eastern Arunachal Pradesh, India, and connects the villages of Bomjir and Malek.
• This bridge provides year-round accessibility between Dambuk and Roing. This bridge is strategically very important for the Indian Army to combat the Chinese military threats across the Line of Actual Control (LOC)
3. Mahatma Gandhi Setu, Bihar
Mahatma Gandhi Setu or Ganga Setu is the third-longest river bridge in India. This bridge measures 5.75 km (3.57 mi) in length and 25 m (82 ft) in width.
• Mahatma Gandhi Setu is located in Patna in the state of Bihar. Patna in the south and Hajipur in the north are connected by this bridge.
• As Gandhi Setu is situated over the river Ganga. Thus this bridge is also known as Ganga Setu.
• This bridge was inaugurated by the former prime minister of India Indira Gandhi in May 1982 in a ceremony in Hajipur.
4. Bandra-Worli Sea Link, Mumbai
Bandra-Worli Sea Link or Rajiv Gandhi Sea Link (Official name) is the 4th longest bridge and the most beautiful bridge in India after Bhupen Hazarika Setu, Dibang River Bridge and Mahatma Gandhi Setu.
• The length of the bridge is 5.6 km long with 8-lane width. This bridge is located in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India and Crosses Mahim Bay.
• This sea link connects Worli in South Mumbai with Bandra in the Western Suburbs of Mumbai. This bridge was built as a part of the Western Freeway, which would connect Mumbai’s major commercial sector at Nariman Point with the Western Suburbs.
5. Bogibeel Bridge,Assam
Bogibeel Bridge ranks as India’s fifth-longest bridge. This is a gift for North East Indians. The Bogibeel River Bridge, which spans the Brahmaputra River for 4.94 kilometres, is the longest rail-road bridge in India. North East India and the rest of India are connected by this bridge.
• In the northeastern Indian state of Assam, a road and rail bridge crosses the Brahmaputra River between the districts of Dhemaji and Dibrugarh.
•On December 25, 2018, Good Governance Day, Prime Minister Narendra Modi officially unveiled this bridge.
- Famous Temples In India 2022
- Independence Day 2022: India, Theme, Images, Speech
- Freedom Fighters Of India Names List
- Unity In Diversity In India: Essay, Meaning, Drawing, Poster, Quotes, Slogans
Longest Bridge in India 2022: FAQs
Q, Which is the longest bridge in India?
The longest bridge over a water body in India is Dhola Sadiya Bridge or also known as Dr Bhupen Hazarika Bridge. This bridge is situated in the state of Assam and connects the villages of Dhola and Sadiya in Assam’s Tinsukia district across the Lohit River.
Q. What are the top longest five bridges in India?
The top longest five bridges in India are- 1) Dhola Sadiya Bridge or Dr Bhupen Hazarika Bridge ( 9.15 KM) 2) Mahatma Gandhi Setu (5.75KM),3) Bandra-Worli Sea Link (BWSL)(5.77KM),4) Bandra-Worli Sea Link or Rajiv Gandhi Sea Link ( 5.6 KM) 5) Bogibeel Bridge(4.94 KM).
Q. Which is the longest rail-road bridge in India?
The longest rail-road bridge in India is the Bogibeel River Bridge, which spans the Brahmaputra River for 4.94 kilometres, located in Assam.
Q. Which is the second longest bridge in India?
Dibang River Bridge is the second longest bridge above water in India. This bridge is a component of the NH13 Trans-Arunachal Highway and measures 6.2 kilometres in length. The Dibang River Bridge is located in the Lower Dibang Valley of Arunachal Pradesh, spans the Dibang River in eastern Arunachal Pradesh, India, and connects the villages of Bomjir and Malek.