In English grammar, Noun is defined as a part of speech that is used as the name of a person, thing, idea, place, quality of a person, etc. Collection Nouns is one type of Noun that use to refer to a group or collection of persons or things as a whole. In this article, we will understand collective nouns, their definition, and examples in-depth with a worksheet.
Collective Nouns is one type of Noun that is used to refer to a group or collection of persons or things as a whole. The word ‘ Collective ‘ means collection or groups of individuals. A collective noun is a type of naming word that describes a collection or group of people, things, ideas, etc. For example – a Class of students, a committee of managers, a fleet of ships, etc.
Collective Nouns Definition in Hindi
In hindi, Collective Nouns defined as सामूहिक’ शब्द का अर्थ है व्यक्तियों का संग्रह या समूह। सामूहिक संज्ञा एक प्रकार का नामकरण शब्द है जो लोगों, चीजों, विचारों आदि के संग्रह या समूह के रूप में वर्णन करता है। उदाहरण के लिए – वर्ग, समिति, बेड़े आदि।
Collective Nouns Examples
In English grammar, Collective Nouns refers to a group or collection of individuals. There is various collective noun present for different aspects. Students can memorize these nouns which help to upgrade their vocabulary. Here we categorize these Collective nouns basically into 3 groups – Things, People, and animals. Here are some examples of collective nouns for these 3 groups.
Examples of Collective Nouns for Animals
To Express a group or collection of different animals, We use some specific Collective Nouns for particular species. Here a list of some collective Nouns for animals is provided.
• Collection of Ants – Army / Colony of Ants.
• Collection of Fish – Shoal of fish
• Collection of Cattle – Heard of cattle
• Collection of birds – Flock of birds.
• Collection of Puppies – Litter of puppies.
• Collection of Monkey – Barrel of monkey
• Collection of Wolves- Pack of wolves
• Collection of Baboons –Troops of baboons.
• Collection of Rabbits – Wrack of rabbits.
• Collection of Bees – Swarm of Bees
Collective Nouns Examples of Things
There are some collective nouns used to describe a collection of non-living objects like a pack of cards, a bunch of Grapes, etc.
In the following list, there are some examples of collective nouns-
• Collection of Keys, grapes – A bunch of grapes, keys, etc.
• Collection of sticks and hay – A bundle of sticks and hay.
• Collection of trees – A clump/grove of trees.
• Collection of sand – Heap of sands.
• Collection of stars – A cluster/constellation/ galaxy of stars.
• Collection of cars -A convoy of cars.
• Collection of lectures -A course or series of lectures.
• Collection of Islands – A group of Islands
• Collection of Pearls- A Cluster/Strings of pearls
•Collection of ships- A fleet of ships
Collective Nouns Examples for people
When we talk about a group or collection of people, certain collective nouns are used to describe it.
Some examples are –
• Collection of Musicians- A band of musicians.
• Collection of Directors- A board of directors, etc.
• Collection of girls, women – A bevy of girls, women, officers, etc.
• Collection of Merchants – A caravan of Merchants, pilgrims, and travelers.
• Collection of Mountains, hills – A chain/range of mountains or hills.
• Collection of Singers – A choir of singers.
• Collection of Students – A class of students.
• Collection of Servents – A retinue of servants/ attendants.
• Collection of soldiers – A company/regiment/army of soldiers.
•Collection of People – A crowd/mob of people.
Collective Nouns used in sentences
1. The jury makes its final decision.
2. She lost her baby in the crowd.
3. The Council is responsible for the incident.
4. A committee has been formed to investigate this matter.
5. A flock of birds flew over the field.
Collective Nouns List
The collective Nouns List is given below in this article. check the full collective nouns list here only.
List of Collective Nouns for People
In English, collective nouns for people are names for a number or a collection of people.
- A circle of friends
- A class of pupils
- A horde of savages
- A brace/A wince of dentists
- An amalgamation of metallurgists
- An amble of walkers
- An ambush of widows
- An army of soldiers
- A roll of drummers
- An attitude grunt of teenagers
- An audience of listeners
- The eloquence of lawyers
- An embarrassment /A persistence of parents
- An entrance of actresses
- An expectation of heirs
- An expectation of midwives
- An obscurity/A rhyme of poets
- An illusion of magicians
- An impatience of wives
- An imposition of in-laws
- An obeisance of servants
- An observance of hermits
- An obstruction of dons
- A host of angels
- A house of senators
- A joint of osteopaths
- A lie/An equivocation of politicians
- A line of kings/rulers
- A melody of harpists
- A mess/An execution of officers
- A meter of percussionists
- A mob of rioters
- Morbidity of majors
- A mug/A reflection of narcissists
- A multiply/An unhappiness of husbands
- A mutter of mothers-in-law
- The wisdom of grandparents
- A number/A set of mathematicians
- A pack of Brownies
- A pack of thieves
- A pan of reviewers
- A panel of experts
- A party of friends
- A patrol of policemen
- A peck of Frenchmen
- A picket of strikers
- A pint of Irishmen
- A pity/A gang of prisoners
- A plush/A rascal of boys
- A pomposity of professors
- A posse of police
- A posse of sheriffs
- A pound of Englishmen
- A promise of barmen
- A prudence of vicars
- A quiz of teachers
- A rage of maidens
- A rash of dermatologists
- A regiment of soldiers
- A rookery/A school of clerks
- A rout of schoolboys
- A sample of salesmen
- A school of clerks
- A scolding of seamstresses
- A scoop/A slant of journalists
- A sentence of judges
- A series of radiologists
- A set subtlety of designers
- A set swish of hairdressers
- A shower of bastards
- A shower of meteorologists
- A shrivel of critics
- A shuffle of bureaucrats
- A side of dancers
- A simplicity of subalterns
- The poverty of pipers
- A slate of candidates
- A slither of gossip columnists
- A slouch of models
- A sneer of butlers
- A sprig of vegetarians
- A squad of beaters
- A squad of soldiers
- A squat of daubers
- A squeal of nieces
- A staff of employees
- A staff of servants
- A staff of teachers
- A stalk of foresters
- A subtlety of sergeants at law
- A superfluity of nuns
- A tabernacle of bakers
- A talent of gamblers
- A tantrum of decorators
- A team of athletes
- A team of players
- A thought of barons
- A tribe of Indians
- A tribe of natives
- A trip of hippies
- A troop of boy scouts
- A troupe of acrobats
- A troupe of artistes
- A troupe of dancers
- A troupe of performers
- A wandering of tinkers
- A wheeze of joggers
- A worship of writers
- An absence/An order of waiters
- An alley/A pratfall of clowns
Are the Collective Nouns singular or plural?
As we know, a collective noun is a group of people or things, such as a herd, assembly, staff, or jury. There is a little confusion about using the right form of the verb with a collective noun. Collective nouns are used in place of plural nouns as a singular nouns. Let’s understand it easily with examples.
On Monday, a band of musicians will perform at our college.
In the above sentence, the band is represented as a single entity. So, a singular verb is used. In most cases, collective nouns take singular verbs.
But in some cases, collective nouns act like plurals. When members of a group act together, the singular verb is used, but when members of a group act individually, the pleural verb is used.
The team is ready for the tournament.
The players are trying new jerseys.
The jury makes its final decision.
She lost her baby in the crowd.
The Council is responsible for the incident.
A committee has been formed to investigate this matter.
A flock of birds flew over the field
Collective Nouns worksheet Questions List
Direction- Fill in the Blanks with a suitable collective Noun
1. Collection Noun for trees ___________________ .
2. Collection Noun for Directors ___________________ .
3. Collection Noun for Ships ___________________ .
4. Collection Noun for Singers ___________________ .
5. Collection Noun for stars ___________________ .
6. Collection Noun for Pearls ___________________ .
7. Collection Noun for Wolves ___________________ .
8. Collection Noun for cattle ___________________ .
9. Collection Noun for Puppies___________________ .
10. Collection Noun for birds ___________________ .
- Newton’s Laws Of Motion- Examples For Kids Of Class 9 & 11
- Simple Microscope Diagram, Formula, Definition, Discoverd By And Magnifying Power
- Laws Of Motion- First, Second, Third Law With Applications
- Fleming’s Left Thumb Rule Used For
- uidai.Gov.In Aadhar- New Registration, Update, Download For School
- States And Union Territories Capitals Of India 2022
- Emergency In India And Its Impact
Collective Nouns: QNAs
Q. What do you mean by collective Noun ?
Collection Noun is one type of Noun that use to refer to a group or collection of persons, or things as a whole. The word ‘ Collective ‘ means collection or groups of individuals. A collective noun is a type of naming word that describes a collection or group of people, things, ideas, etc. For example – a Class of students, a committee of managers, a fleet of ships, etc.
Q. Write down three examples of collective nouns for animals.
Three Examples of collective nouns for animals are – Heard of cattle, Litter of puppies. and Barrel of monkey
Q. Write down three examples of collective nouns for things.
Three Examples of collective nouns for things are – A course or series of lectures, Heap of sands, and clump/grove of trees.
Q. Write down three examples of collective nouns for People.
Three Examples of collective nouns for People are – a bevy of girls, women, officers, etc, a caravan of Merchants, pilgrims, and travelers, and a chain/range of mountains or hills.