Table of Contents
How to become a pilot in India
Some people really dream of flying high in the sky and that they want to do by pursuing a career as a Pilot. In this article, we will help you take a step further in following your dreams by providing you with information that you need to know before preparing yourself to fly an aircraft. In order to be a pilot, you can enroll in a pilot training course after finishing high school or can even take the NDA exam and receive Air Force pilot training once you have passed it. The most important criterion for becoming a pilot after 12th grade is to have completed 10+2 in Science, however, there are other pilot training colleges that accept commerce students as well. Students wishing to be pilots in India must be at least 17 years old, and they must also provide fitness and medical certificate. Here is all you need, including fees for pilot training courses, requirements, eligibility, and pilot pay prospects in India, everything is discussed here.
Read: CLAT 2022
How to Become a Pilot after 12th: India
To enrol in any of the Aviation courses, you must first meet the institute’s or academy’s eligibility requirements and thus we have made the following list of the requirements for becoming a pilot after completing 12th grade in India:
- To begin training, you must be at least 17 years old and have a minimum score of 50% in 10+2, which may vary depending on the Institute’s requirements.
- You must have completed intermediate level PCM Subjects, as well as intermediate level English.
- If you are not a science student, you can take the required topics at the National Institute of Open Schooling. You can also take the required topics at the National Institute as a private candidate through the state board.
- You will require a medical certificate too.
How to become a pilot in India: Skills required
- Strong technical skills
- Critical thinking and decision-making
- Good sense of teamwork
- Striving continually for excellence
- Good communication skills
- The highly focused and disciplined personality
- Mental stability and physical fitness
- High-level flexibility
- Inherent or learned leadership quality
- Situational and environmental awareness
How to Become a Civil Aviation Pilot in India
To become a Civil Aviation Pilot, you must first obtain a commercial pilot certificate from a recognised authority. One such authority is India’s Directorate General of Civil Aviation. You will be flying a specific aircraft for an airline, as a commercial pilot and there are many training academies around the world that offer a variety of Commercial Pilot Training programmes, with the most important eligibility requirement being that the student has completed 10+2 with a science stream from a recognised board of education.
Here is a list of the best flying schools across the world to consider:
- Pan AM International Flying Academy
- Singapore Flying College
- CAE Oxford Aviation Academy
- Flight Safety Academy
- CTC Wings, Europe
How to Become an Indian Defence Forces (Air Force) Pilot
If you want to pass the competitive entrance tests for the Indian Defence Forces, then becoming a pilot in the Airforce is the best option.
The following is the procedure for joining the Indian Defence Forces:
- The NDA Exam is India’s pilot entry exam after 12th grade. After passing the NDA exam, you can join the IAF’s flying branch. The NDA Exam is basically a math-based and general ability exam. The NDA Exam has the following primary subjects: English, Geography, History, General Knowledge, Physics, Maths, Chemistry, and Current Events.
- After that, there’s the SSB Interview, which is divided into two stages:
1. A picture perception and discussion test, as well as an officer intelligence test
2. Psychological exams, group activities, and a personal interview
- The next step is the Pilot Aptitude Test, which consists of written and machine exams that evaluate the candidate’s ability to interpret instruments, as well as their mental strength and how well they can operate in various situations.
- Moreover, you must pass this test on your first attempt itself. If you are unable to do so, you will be judged ineligible for the flying branch and will not be able to apply again.
The next step is a medical examination. The candidate’s height, weight, and vision are all carefully assessed.
How to become a pilot in India: Pay
Commercial pilots, on average, have better pay packages than other job categories. In India, after completing 250 hours of flight time, one is eligible to work as a commercial pilot. One can easily receive a monthly income of 1.5- 2 lakh rupees after becoming a commercial pilot. On the other side, if you choose to join the Indian Airforce, your annual payout might be in the range of 5-8 lakhs.
FAQs on How to Become a Pilot in India?
In India, how much does it cost to become a pilot?
In India, becoming a pilot costs between 45 and 60 lakhs.
In India, how long does it take to become a pilot?
A one-year training is required to obtain a Private Pilot License. A three-year training is required to obtain a commercial pilot’s licence.
Is it simple to get a pilot’s licence in India?
In India, becoming a pilot is not tough. There are well-defined guidelines that must be followed. As with any other occupation, becoming a pilot is a viable option. Flying a plane appears to be a difficult notion, but learning how to do it is a thrilling endeavour.
Is the pilot test difficult in India?
Except for the tests that must be passed, pilot training in India is a simple process.
What is the pilot entrance exam like?
The NDA Exam is India’s pilot entrance exam after 12th grade.