Structural Engineering Meaning
Structural Engineering is a part and specialization of Civil Engineering. In Structural Engineering, students are taught to test the durability, strength of structures. The structures include bridges, houses, tunnels, roads, etc.
Structural engineering is the broader way of knowing about structures right from the scratch to the top until it is built and completed. Even after building bridges and structures, structural engineering is required to test the structures from time to time.
Why do students need to study Structural engineering in 2021?
Students who wish to pursue Civil Engineering and wish to specialize in it can choose a specialization in structural engineering. It is a part of civil engineering.
Structural engineering offers a variety of specializations. The student may select anyone. It ranges right from pipe structural engineering to huge structures like airplanes and helicopters.
Eligibility Criteria for Structural engineering in 2021
Eligibility criteria for admission to Structural engineering have been listed below.
- Student must have completed their Class 12th boards from a recognized Board.
- The student must be at least 17 years of age at the time of admission.
- Students must have scored 75% to be eligible for JEE 2021, which is a common entrance test for engineering.
- Few colleges consider the score of 12th Boards and others conduct their entrance test for admission to Bachelor’s in structural Engineering in 2021
Top Colleges for Structural engineering in 2021
The top 5 colleges for Structural engineering in 2021 are:
Admission Procedure for Structural engineering in 2021
Admission procedure varies from college to college. The student must keep a regular check on the official website of the college in which dates will be published for each step. Few other colleges provide admission based on the common entrance test and 12th Boards.
Entrance Exams for Structural engineering in 2021
Some of the popular entrance exams for admission to structural engineering in 2021 are:
- IIT – JEE
- All India Common Entrance Test.
- Associate Membership of Institutions of Engineers.
- Associate Membership of Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers.
- Delhi College of Engineering Combined Entrance Exam.
Reference Books for Structural engineering in 2021
The below-listed reference books can be used by students pursuing Structural engineering in 2021
- Dynamics of Structures ( A. K. Chopra or Clough and Penzien)
- Bridge Engineering ( Johnson D Victor/Krishna Raju)
- Advanced Structural Engineering (A K Jain)
- Prestressed Concrete (Krishna Raju)
- Advanced Foundation Engineering (Barja M. Das)
Syllabus for Structural engineering in 2021
The complete syllabus for Bachelor’s in Structural engineering is listed below.
- Theory of elasticity and plasticity
- Advanced Engineering Mathematics
- Industrial Management
- Advanced Structural Analysis
- Soil-Structure Interaction
- Bridge Engineering
- Structural Optimisation
- Repair & Rehabilitation of Structure
- Structural Dynamics & Earthquake Engineering
- Theory of Elasticity & Plasticity
- Advanced Structural Design
- Advanced Foundation Engineering
- Pre-stressed Concrete Structures
- Composite Material & Structures
Fees and Jobs Scope for Structural engineering in 2021
The fees for admission to Structural Engineering in 2021 varies from Rs 25,300 to Rs 2,30,000
The starting salary for a structural engineer graduate in 2021 is Rs 3 – Rs 5 LPA.
Job Roles for Structural engineering in 2021
A few of the job roles for structural engineer in 2021 are:
- Chief Engineer
- Project Manager
- Division Head
- Supervisory Engineer
- Director of Public Works
1. Does a structural engineer need to visit the site?
Yes, two to three times for a project, a structural engineer might be required to visit the site.
2. Do structural engineers draw plans?
Yes, structural engineers draw plans which are required for calculation related to the strength check and durability of the structure.
3. What is the difference between the structural engineer and architect?
Architects focus on the appearance of a structure whereas structural engineers focus more on the strength and durability of a structure.
4. Can a civil engineer work as a structural engineer?
No civil engineer cannot work as a structural engineer as he or she might not have specialized in structural engineering. But structural engineers can do civil engineering it is the base of structural engineering.
5. When should you hire a structural engineer?
You can hire a structural engineer to check and know more about the strength and quality of a particular structure.
Medical courses after 12th without NEET
Bachelor of Dental surgery 2021