CLAT NLU Preference List
Students are admitted to 22 law schools across the nation using the CLAT NLU Preference list. Here CLAT refers to the Common Law Admission Test and NLU refers to the National Law University, Delhi. There is no “default” or pre-determined CLAT NLU preference list in place at the CLAT office. The CLAT office treats all 22 NLUs equally, despite the fact that you might think NLSIU Bangalore is the best NLU out of all of them. In this sense, NLSIU Bangalore and CNLU Patna are comparable. Therefore, it is up to each CLAT applicant to make their own CLAT NLU preference lists.
How to prepare a CLAT NLU preference list?
Without a doubt, this is the most important question you have asked. While it is entirely up to you to create your Preference List, keep the following advice in mind:
- Investigate for a while. Take into account your goals for attending law school and earning a legal degree. NLU Jodhpur is a better choice than NLSIU if you wish to be nearer to home (and are from New Delhi). If you’re looking for a top-notch campus placement at a corporate law firm, NALSAR/NLSIU should also be at the top of your list. Compare the most recent NALSAR and NLSIU recruitment numbers before making a choice.
- Rankings published in magazines, such IndiaToday or Outlook, are not reliable. The reliability of these rankings has never been very great. Consider the IndiaToday rankings post as an illustration. Amity is ranked fourth and NALSAR isn’t on the list.
- When reading something online or talking to someone about their preferences, always be wary of the source. You might be convinced by an RGNUL Patiala student’s chest-thumping that his or her school can rival Harvard. Honesty be told, it’s not true.
- And a critic of NALSAR would assert that it is impossible for it to be better than NUSRL-Ranchi. A warning: there is no way.
Make sure to include all 22 NLUs on the Preference List. If you omit any, you won’t be given that NLU. We advise that you add an NLU to your list rather than leaving it blank, even if you are certain that you do not want to attend one.
- Each NLU has its own unique traits. In my opinion as a NALSARite, NALSAR is the best NLU in the nation due to its business partnerships or campus atmosphere, but I must admit (with a heavy heart) that NLSIU is highly respectable in terms of student calibre, academic standing, and, most significantly, alumni strength.
- Be sure to consider the Preference List. You can adopt the impulsive attitude of “Let me get a passing grade first, and then I’ll worry about everything else.” Choosing between NLSIU and NALSAR is not something I should get too enthused about. Now, how can I prepare pulao with khayal?” That’s not the right course of action, is it? Your options cannot be changed once you receive the CLAT results. As a result, make the effort required to painstakingly build the list. If you end up with a decent rank, you won’t be able to forgive yourself for messing up the Preference List and having a bad NLU assigned to you.
CLAT NLU Preference List 2024
CLAT NLU Preference List & Ranking 2024: Candidates must express their preference for NLU in detail on the CLAT application form. This impacts how many NLUs you receive (assuming that you have met the cut-off requirement for the respective NLU). While various factors might have an impact on the preference list, I think the following ranking should be taken into consideration while creating the CLAT NLU Preference list:
- National Law School of India University (NLSIU), Bengaluru
- NALSAR University of Law (NALSAR), Hyderabad
- WB National University of Juridical Sciences (NUJS), Kolkata
- National Law University (NLU), Jodhpur
- National Law Institute University (NLIU), Bhopal
- Gujarat National Law University (GNLU), Gandhinagar
- Maharashtra National Law University (MNLU), Mumbai
- National Law University Odisha (NLUO), Cuttack
- Hidayatullah National Law University (HNLU), Raipur
- Ram Manohar Lohia National Law University (RMLNLU), Lucknow
- Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law (RGNUL), Patiala
- Chanakya National Law University (CNLU), Patna
- National University of Advanced Legal Studies (NUALS), Kochi
- National University of Study and Research in Law (NUSRL), Ranchi
- Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University (DSNLU), Visakhapatnam
- National Law University and Judicial Academy (NLUJA), Guwahati
- Tamil Nadu National Law University (TNNLU), Tiruchirapalli
- Himachal Pradesh National Law University (HPNLU), Shimla
- Maharashtra National Law University (MNLU), Nagpur
- Maharashtra National Law University (MNLU), Aurangabad
- Dharmashastra National Law University (MPDNLU), Jabalpur
CLAT NLU Ranking 2024
|NLUs in India||NIRF Ranking 2022|
|National Law School of India University, Bangalore||1|
|National Law University, Delhi||2|
|National Academy of Legal Study & Research (NALSAR) University of Law, Hyderabad||4|
|The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata||5|
|National Law Institute University, Bhopal||15|
|National Law University, Jodhpur||10|
|Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar||8|
|Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow||17|
|Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala||18|
|Chanakya National Law University Patna||–|
|National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi||–|
|National Law University Odisha, Cuttack||25|
|National University of Study & Research in Law, Ranchi||22|
|National Law University & Judicial Academy, Assam||24|
|Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University (DSNLU) Visakhapatnam||–|
|The Tamil Nadu National Law School, Tiruchirapalli||–|
|Maharashtra National Law University, Mumbai||–|
|Maharashtra National Law University, Nagpur||–|
|Maharashtra National Law University, Aurangabad||–|
|Himachal Pradesh National Law University, Shimla||–|
|Dharmashastra National Law University, Jabalpur||–|
|Dr B R Ambedkar National Law University Sonipat, Haryana||–|
|Hidayatullah National Law University, Raipur||–|
|New NLUs in India|
|Sikkim National Law University, Gangtok (w.e.f. 2022)||–|
|National Law University, Tirupura||–|
CLAT NLU Preference List 2024- QNAs
Que. What is the purpose of the CLAT preference list?
Ans: Universities will be assigned to you based on your ranking and choice list. The merit-cum-preference concept governs NLU operations. All that remains is to confirm that you filled out the chosen list in accordance with the National Law Universities’ requirements.
Que. When filling out the CLAT form, in what order should I enter my NLU preferences?
A: No such thing as a definite order exists! You should spend a lot of time on your preference list because it’s a time-consuming effort! It will affect your life in the long run, so take your time.
Que. How can I choose my preferred NLU option?
A: One fundamental principle governs CLAT counselling. All candidates must list their choices exactly as if they were the ones who got the NLU in the first place. Or, to put it another way, start with NLSIU and move down the list in the order that you ranked the NLUs.
Que. Is it possible to adjust my NLU options later?
A: No, it will be regarded as definitive once an applicant has specified and submitted his or her desired NLUs. However, if you submit more than one CLAT application, the most recent one will be taken into consideration.