Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23
The Central Board of Secondary Education has recently released the CBSE Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23. The board has given 5 units in CBSE Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23. As per the CBSE Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23, the theoretical part consists of 70 marks while the practical part consists of 30 marks. The students will get 3 hours to complete CBSE Class 11 Biology question paper. On this page, we have given the detailed CBSE Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23. The students studying in Class 11 must go through the whole CBSE Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 given on this page and bookmark this page to get all the latest updates from CBSE.
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23: Mark Distribution
Here we have given all the units given in CBSE Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 and marks distributed to each unit. There are 5 units given in CBSE Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2023. CBSE Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 comprises Diversity of Living Organisms, Structural Organization in Plants and Animals, Cell: Structure and Function, Plant Physiology, and Human Physiology. Have a look at the table below:
|Unit 1: Diversity of Living Organisms||15|
|Unit 2: Structural Organization in Plants and Animals||10|
|Unit 3: Cell: Structure and Function||15|
|Unit 4: Plant Physiology||12|
|Unit 5: Human Physiology||18|
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23: Unit wise
Here we have given the chapter-wise CBSE Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23. The students must go through all the syllabus and pick those units first which has higher weightage. Check the CBSE Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 given below:
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23: Unit 1
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 Unit 1: Diversity of Living Organisms
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 Chapter-1: The Living World
Biodiversity; Need for classification; three domains of life; taxonomy and systematics; concept of species and taxonomical hierarchy; binomial nomenclature
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 Chapter-2: Biological Classification
Five kingdom classification; Salient features and classification of Monera, Protista and Fungi into major groups; Lichens, Viruses and Viroids.
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 Chapter-3: Plant Kingdom
Classification of plants into major groups; Salient and distinguishing features and a few examples of Algae, Bryophyta, Pteridophyta, Gymnospermae (Topics excluded – Angiosperms, Plant Life Cycle and Alternation of Generations)
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 Chapter-4: Animal Kingdom
Salient features and classification of animals, non-chordates up to phyla level and chordates up to class level (salient features and at a few examples of each category). (No live animals or specimen should be displayed.)
Biology Class 11 Syllabus 2022-23: Unit 2
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 Unit 2: Structural Organization in Animals and Plant
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 Chapter-5: Morphology of Flowering Plants
Morphology of different parts of flowering plants: root, stem, leaf, inflorescence, flower, fruit and seed. Description of family Solanaceae
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 Chapter-6: Anatomy of Flowering Plants
Anatomy and functions of tissue systems in dicots and monocots.
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 Chapter-7: Structural Organisation in Animals
Morphology, Anatomy and functions of different systems (digestive, circulatory, respiratory, nervous and reproductive) of frog.
Biology Class 11 Syllabus 2022-23: Unit 3
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 Unit 3: Cell: Structure and Function
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 Chapter-8: Cell-The Unit of Life
Cell theory and cell as the basic unit of life, structure of prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells; Plant cell and animal cell; cell envelope; cell membrane, cell wall; cell organelles – structure and function; endomembrane system, endoplasmic reticulum, golgi bodies, lysosomes, vacuoles, mitochondria, ribosomes, plastids, microbodies; cytoskeleton, cilia, flagella, centrioles (ultrastructure and function); nucleus.
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 Chapter-9: Biomolecules
Chemical constituents of living cells: biomolecules, structure and function of proteins, carbohydrates, lipids, nucleic acids; Enzyme – types, properties, enzyme action. (Topics excluded: Nature of Bond Linking Monomers in a Polymer, Dynamic State of Body Constituents – Concept of Metabolism, Metabolic Basis of Living, The Living State)
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 Chapter-10: Cell Cycle and Cell Division
Cell cycle, mitosis, meiosis and their significance
Biology Class 11 Syllabus 2022-23: Unit 4
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 Unit 4 Plant Physiology
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 Chapter-13: Photosynthesis in Higher Plants
Photosynthesis as a means of autotrophic nutrition; site of photosynthesis, pigments involved in photosynthesis (elementary idea); photochemical and biosynthetic phases of photosynthesis; cyclic and non-cyclic photophosphorylation; chemiosmotic hypothesis; photorespiration; C3 and C4 pathways; factors affecting photosynthesis.
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 Chapter-14: Respiration in Plants
Exchange of gases; cellular respiration – glycolysis, fermentation (anaerobic), TCA cycle and electron transport system (aerobic); energy relations – number of ATP molecules generated; amphibolic pathways; respiratory quotient.
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 Chapter-15: Plant – Growth and Development
Seed germination; phases of plant growth and plant growth rate; conditions of growth; differentiation, dedifferentiation and redifferentiation; sequence of developmental processes in a plant cell; growth regulators – auxin, gibberellin, cytokinin, ethylene, ABA;
Biology Class 11 Syllabus CBSE 2022-23: Unit 5
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 Unit-5 Human Physiology
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 Chapter-17: Breathing and Exchange of Gases
Respiratory organs in animals (recall only); Respiratory system in humans; mechanism of breathing and its regulation in humans – exchange of gases, transport of gases and regulation of respiration, respiratory volume; disorders related to respiration – asthma, emphysema, occupational respiratory disorders.
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 Chapter-18: Body Fluids and Circulation
Composition of blood, blood groups, coagulation of blood; composition of lymph and its function; human circulatory system – Structure of human heart and blood vessels; cardiac cycle, cardiac output, ECG; double circulation; regulation of cardiac activity; disorders of circulatory system – hypertension, coronary artery disease, angina pectoris, heart failure.
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 Chapter-19: Excretory Products and their Elimination
Modes of excretion – ammonotelism, ureotelism, uricotelism; human excretory system structure and function; urine formation, osmoregulation; regulation of kidney function – renin angiotensin, atrial natriuretic factor, ADH and diabetes insipidus; role of other organs in excretion; disorders – uremia, renal failure, renal calculi, nephritis; dialysis and artificial kidney, kidney transplant.
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 Chapter-20: Locomotion and Movement
Types of movement – ciliary, flagellar, muscular; skeletal muscle, contractile proteins and muscle contraction; skeletal system and its functions; joints; disorders of muscular and skeletal systems myasthenia gravis, tetany, muscular dystrophy, arthritis, osteoporosis, gout.
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 Chapter-21: Neural Control and Coordination
Neuron and nerves; Nervous system in humans – central nervous system; peripheral nervous system and visceral nervous system; generation and conduction of nerve impulse
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2022-23 Chapter-22: Chemical Coordination and Integration
Endocrine glands and hormones; human endocrine system – hypothalamus, pituitary, pineal, thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal, pancreas, gonads; mechanism of hormone action (elementary idea); role of hormones as messengers and regulators, hypo – and hyperactivity and related disorders; dwarfism, acromegaly, cretinism, goiter, exophthalmic goitre, diabetes, Addison’s disease.
Note: Diseases related to all the human physiological systems to be taught in brief.
Biology Class 11 Syllabus CBSE 2022-23: Practicals
Here we have given the evaluation scheme of practicals. The students must check the table given below:
|One Major Experiment Part A (Experiment No- 1,3,7,8)||5|
|One Minor Experiment Part A (Experiment No- 6,9,10,11,12,13)||4|
|Slide Preparation Part A (Experiment No- 2,4,5)||5|
|Spotting Part B||7|
|Practical Record + Viva Voce||4|
|Project Record + Viva Voce||5|
Class CBSE 11 Biology Syllabus 2022 23: List of Experiments
- Study and describe locally available common flowering plants, from family Solanaceae (Poaceae, Asteraceae or Brassicaceae can besubstituted in case of particular geographical location) including dissection and display of floral whorls, anther and ovary to show number of chambers (floral formulae and floral diagrams), type of root (tap and adventitious); type of stem (herbaceous and woody); leaf (arrangement, shape, venation, simple and compound).
- Preparation and study of T.S. of dicot and monocot roots and stems (primary).
- Study of osmosis by potato osmometer.
- Study of plasmolysis in epidermal peels (e.g. Rhoeo/lily leaves or flashy scale leaves of onion bulb).
- Study of distribution of stomata on the upper and lower surfaces of leaves.
- Comparative study of the rates of transpiration in the upper and lower surfaces of leaves.
- Test for the presence of sugar, starch, proteins and fats in suitable plant and animal materials.
- Separation of plant pigments through paper chromatography.
- Study of the rate of respiration in flower buds/leaf tissue and germinating seeds.
- Test for presence of urea in urine.
- Test for presence of sugar in urine.
- Test for presence of albumin in urine.
- Test for presence of bile salts in urine.
B. Study and Observe the following (spotting):
- Parts of a compound microscope.
- Specimens/slides/models and identification with reasons – Bacteria, Oscillatoria, Spirogyra, Rhizopus, mushroom, yeast, liverwort, moss, fern, pine, one monocotyledonous plant, one dicotyledonous plant and one lichen.
- Virtual specimens/slides/models and identifying features of – Amoeba, Hydra,liverfluke, Ascaris, leech, earthworm, prawn, silkworm, honey bee, snail, starfish, shark, rohu, frog, lizard, pigeon and rabbit.
- Mitosis in onion root tip cells and animals cells (grasshopper) from permanent slides.
- Different types of inflorescence (cymose and racemose).
- Human skeleton and different types of joints with the help of virtual images/models only
CBSE Biology Class 11 Syllabus 2022-23: Practical Examination for Visually Impaired Students
Note: The ‘Evaluation schemes’ and ‘General Guidelines’ for visually impaired students as given for Class XII may be followed.
A. Items for Identification/Familiarity with the apparatus /equipments/animal and plant material / chemicals. for assessment in practicals (All experiments)
B. Equipments – compound microscope, test tube, petridish, chromatography paper, chromatography chamber, beaker, scalpel
Chemical – alcohol
Models – Model of Human skeleton to show – Ball and socket joints of girdles and limbs, Rib cage, Honey comb, Mollusc shell, Pigeon and Star fish, cockroach
Specimen/Fresh Material – mushroom, succulents such as Aloe vera/kalenchoe, raisins, potatoes, seeds of monocot and dicot- maize and gram or any other plant, plants of Solanaceae – Brinjal, Petunia, any other
C. List of Practicals
- Study locally available common flowering plants of the family – Solanaceae and identify type of stem (Herbaceous or Woody), type of leaves (Compound or Simple).
- Study the parts of a compound microscope- eye piece and objective lens, mirror, stage, coarse and fine adjustment knobs.
- Differentiate between monocot and dicot plants on the basis of venation patterns.
- Study the following parts of human skeleton (Model): Ball and socket joints of thigh and shoulder
- Rib cage
- Study honeybee/butterfly, snail/sheik snail through shell, Starfish, Pigeon (through models).
- Identify the given specimen of a fungus – mushroom, gymnosperm-pine cone
- Identify and relate the experimental set up with the aim of experiment: For Potato Osmometer/endosmosis in raisins.
Note: The above practicals may be carried out in an experiential manner rather than only recording observations.
Class 11 Biology Syllabus CBSE 2022-23 PDF Download
Click here to download CBSE Biology Class 11 Syllabus 2022-23 pdf
Biology Class 11 Syllabus 2022-23: NCERT Prescribed Books
Here we have given the reference books for CBSE Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2023. The students studying in CBSE Class 11 must refer to the books given below to complete CBSE Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2023:
1. Biology Class-XI, Published by NCERT
2. Other related books and manuals brought out by NCERT (consider multimedia also)
Class 11 Biology Syllabus 2023- QNA