SSC CGL Exam Pattern is discussed here. Know details of the SSC CGL Exam Pattern 2020 to strategize your preparation. Candidates can check the Changes in Exam Pattern of SSC CGL in this article.
SSC CGL Exam Pattern 2020
Staff Selection Commission (SSC) conducts Combined Graduate Level (CGL) Examination in four Tiers namely Tier-1, Tier-2, Tier-3, and Tier-4. While SSC CGL Tier-1 and Tier-2 are conducted in Online Mode on the other hand Tier-3 is conducted in Pen and Paper mode and Tier-4 in Computer Skill Test which is conducted on Computer. Candidates can go through this article for more information about the different tiers of SSC CGL. This article also explains each Tiers of SSC CGL.
SSC CGL Exam Pattern 2020: Tiers of Exam
SSC CGL Comprises of four Tiers. Exam Pattern of SSC CGL is explained below:
|Tier||Type of Examination||Mode of examination|
|Tier-1||Objective Multiple Choice||CBT (Online)|
|Tier-2||Objective Multiple Choice||CBT (Online)|
|Tier-3||Descriptive Paper in Hindi/ English||Pen and Paper Mode|
|Tier-4||Computer Proficiency Test/ Skill Test||Wherever Applicable|
SSC CGL Exam Pattern 2020: Tier-1
SSC CGL Ties-1 comprises 100 questions in total with maximum marks of 200. SSC CGL Tier-1 is of 60 minutes. SSC CGL Tier-I is divided into four sections with 25 questions each and maximum marks of 50. Normalization will be done by SSC if an exam is conducted in multiple shifts.
The sections asked in SSC CGL Tier-I Exam are:
- General Knowledge
- Quantitative Aptitude
- General Reasoning
- English Comprehension
The Schema of Tier-1 is explained in Table given below:
|Sections||No. of Questions||Total Marks||Time Allotted|
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||50||A cumulative time of 60 minutes (80 minutes
for disable/Physically handicapped Candidates)
Note:- For every wrong question there is a negative marking of 0.5 marks also.
SSC CGL Exam Pattern 2020: Tier-2
SSC CGL Tier-2 exam will be conducted online comprising of four papers with 100 questions/200 questions in each section and with maximum marks of 200. Candidates have to complete each Exam in 2 hours. Normalization will be done by SSC if an exam is conducted in multiple shifts.
The sections asked in SSC CGL Tier-2 Exam are:
- Quantitative Ability.
- General Studies (Finance & Economics).
- English Language & Comprehension.
The schema of Tier 2 is explained in Table given below:
|Sections||No. of Questions||Total Marks||Time Allotted|
|Quantitative Ability||100||200||120 minutes
(160 minutes for disable/Physically handicapped Candidates)
|English Language and Comprehension||200||200|
|General Studies (Finance and Economics)||100||200|
Note: For every wrong question there is negative marking of 0.5/0.25 marks.
SSC CGL Exam Pattern 2020: Tier 3
SSC has decided to conduct a Descriptive Paper instead of Interview in SSC CGL for all the candidates who qualify SSC CGL Tier-2 Examination. SSC CGL Tier-3 Descriptive Paper (Pen and Paper Mode) is introduced to test the writing skills of the candidates. The paper is in English/Hindi language and will constitute of 100 marks. Candidates have to complete entire paper in 60 minutes.
Descriptive Paper in English/Hindi (Writing of Essay,
Precis, Letter, Application etc.)
|100 marks||1 hour or 60 minutes
(80 minutes for
Note:- Candidates have to score 33 marks (33 percent) to qualify the Descriptive paper.
SSC CGL Exam Pattern 2020: Tier 4
SSC CGL Tier-4 Exam is a Computer Skill Test. SSC CGL Tier 4 is conducted in two steps:
- Skill Test in Date Entry (DEST) Test and
- Computer Proficiency Test (CPT) Test.
DEST: Candidates are required to type 2000 words in 15 minutes on a computer in English. This test is conducted to check a candidate’s typing skills. Candidates are given an article in English which they have to type on Computer.
CPT: This test is conducted to check a candidate’s proficiency in Word Processing, Spreadsheets and Generation of Slides.
Note:- SSC CGL Tier-4 is qualifying in nature, no marks will be rewarded in SSC CGL Tier-4.
Candidates have to score well in all the Tiers i.e., Tier-1, Tier-2 and Tier-3 and also qualify in Tier-4 of SSC CGL to get the desired post and location.
SSC CGL Exam Pattern 2020: New Changes
- Minimum qualifying marks in Tier-I, each Paper of Tier-II and Tier-III Examination are as follows:
UR : 30%
OBC/ EWS : 25%
Others : 20%
- Tier-II and Tier-III Examinations will be conducted for all the candidates qualified in Tier-I.
- In Tier-II, all the candidates will be required to appear in Paper-I and Paper-II.
- However, only specific candidates shortlisted for the posts of JSO/ Statistical Investigator and Assistant Audit Officer/ Assistant Accounts Officer will be required to appear in Paper-III and Paper-IV respectively.
- The exam date for Tier 2 & Tier 3 is 22.06.2020 to 25.06.2020.
- Only for those candidates who had Qualified Tier II, Tier III sheet will be evaluated.
- Based on the aggregate performance of qualified candidates in Tier-I, Tier-II and Tier-III Examinations, candidates will be shortlisted for Document Verification and Skill Tests i.e. Computer Proficiency Test (CPT) and Data Entry Skill Test (DEST).
- Skill Tests are mandatory but qualifying in nature. If a candidate does not appear in Skill Test or fails to qualify the Skill Test, he/ she will not be eligible for the posts where CPT/ DEST are mandatory.
- Preference of posts will be taken from the candidates either online before DV or at the time of Document Verification.
SSC CGL Exam Pattern 2020 FAQ’s
Q 1. How many tiers will SSC CGL Exam be conducted.?
Ans. SSC CGL have four tiers in the whole process.
Q 2. Will the prelims exam be subjective or objective.?
Ans. SSC CGL Tier I exam will be objective.
Q 3. Will the mains exam be subjective or objective.?
Ans. SSC CGL Tier II (Mains) exam will be objective.
Q 4. Will the Tier III exam be subjective or objective.?
Ans. SSC CGL Tier III exam will be descriptive.
Q5. Is there any negative marking for SSC CGL.?
Ans. Yes, there is a negative marking of 1/4 marks of the question.