SBI PO Syllabus: SBI PO is one of the most sought Government exams in the country by all Bank Exam Aspirants. Being an SBI PO is a great career as it offers a lucrative salary, perks, and benefits, Job Security to name a few. To ace the SBI PO exam, prior knowledge of the SBI PO Syllabus and Exam Pattern will be an added advantage. This will help you to escalate your preparation for SBI PO in the right direction.
The syllabus of the SBI PO exam is divided into three tiers:
- Group Discussion & Personal Interview (GD & PI)
The SBI Prelims and Mains Exams will be conducted online only. It is compulsory to pass each of the Tests. Let’s have a look at the detailed SBI PO Syllabus & Exam Pattern.
SBI PO Syllabus 2021: Exam Pattern
Lakhs of candidates will be applying for the exam. The competition will be a cut-throat one. However, the candidates must gear up even before the notification pops up any day in June. It is good to know the syllabus in advance to score well in both these levels of examination i.e., prelims and mains. A candidate needs to be acquainted with the exam pattern of both prelims and mains examination along with the syllabus of the same.
SBI PO Syllabus & Exam Pattern: Overview
The SBI PO Syllabus for the Prelims and the Mains Exam is almost the same. There is only a slight change in the Mains Section with two extra sections being added i.e. General and Banking awareness. However, the level of difficulty of the SBI PO Mains Paper is a little higher than the Prelims.
|Exam Conducting Body||State Bank of India (SBI)|
|Post||Probationary Officer (PO)|
|Notification Date||To Be Notified|
SBI PO Exam
|Duration of Exam||
|Marking scheme||1 mark each for every correct answer in Online Test|
|Negative marking||1/4th of the marks assigned to the question in MCQ|
|Mode of Examination||Online For Paper I and Paper II|
|Language of examination||English OR Hindi
English Language paper has to be attempted in English.
SBI PO Exam Pattern For Prelims
The SBI PO Prelims Exam will have 3 sections:
|| Reasoning, Quantitative Aptitude & English Language ||. The Time Duration for the Prelims Exam of SBI PO will be 1 hour.
|S.No.||Section||No. of Questions||Maximum Marks||Duration|
|1||English Language||30||30||1 Hour (60 Minutes)|
Highlights of SBI PO Prelims Exam
- There will be three sections.
- Category wise merit list will be drawn based on the aggregate marks scored in the Preliminary Exam.
- There will be no sectional cut-off. However, there will be an overall cut off.
- There will be a negative marking of 0.25 marks for every incorrect answer.
SBI PO Syllabus For Prelims Exam
The preliminary examination of the SBI PO exam comprises of Reasoning Ability, Quantitative Aptitude, and English Language. The complete detail of heading and sub-heading of the sections asked in Preliminary Exam of SBI PO exam is discussed below:
|Reasoning||Quantitative Ability||English Language|
|Logical Reasoning||Simplification||Reading Comprehension|
|Alphanumeric Series||Profit & Loss||Cloze Test|
|Ranking/Direction/Alphabet Test||Mixtures &Alligations||Para jumbles|
|Data Sufficiency||Simple Interest & Compound Interest & Surds & Indices||Miscellaneous|
|Coded Inequalities||Work & Time||Fill in the blanks|
|Seating Arrangement||Time & Distance||Multiple Meaning/Error Spotting|
|Puzzle||Mensuration – Cylinder, Cone, Sphere||Paragraph Completion|
|Syllogism||Ratio & Proportion, Percentage|
|Blood Relations||Number Systems|
|Input-Output||Sequence & Series|
|Coding-Decoding||Permutation, Combination &Probability|
SBI PO Exam Pattern For Mains
Candidates meeting the required Cut off in SBI Prelims will be eligible to appear for the Mains Exam. The syllabus for SBI PO Mains is quite similar to the IBPS PO Exam. There is only a slight change in the Mains Section with two extra sections being added i.e. General and Banking Awareness and a Descriptive Test and the duration of the test will be 3 hours.
The Descriptive Test has a duration of 30 minutes with a score of 50 marks. This test is conducted to test the writing skills of candidates via Letter Writing & Essay Writing.
|S.No.||Section||No. of Questions||Maximum Marks||Duration|
|1||Reasoning & Computer Aptitude||45||60||60 minutes|
|2||Data Analysis & Interpretation||35||60||45 minutes|
|3||General/ Economy/ Banking Awareness||40||40||35 minutes|
|4||English Language||35||40||40 minutes|
|5.||Descriptive Test||02||50||30 minutes|
Highlights of SBI PO Mains Exam
- All the questions will be objective in nature.
- This Mains paper will have four sections of a total of 200 marks.
- The duration of the SBI PO Mains Exam will be 3 hours.
- The objective test will have separate timing for every section.
- There will be no sectional cut off. There will be only an overall cut off.
- There will be a penalty of 0.25 marks for every incorrect Multiple Choice Question.
- The Descriptive Paper of 50 marks is compulsory to attempt.
Note: Descriptive paper of a candidate will be checked only if they qualify in the Objective test as per the qualifying marks decided by the Bank.
SBI PO Syllabus For Mains Exam
The Mains Examination of SBI PO exam comprises 4 sections:
- Data Analysis & Interpretation
- Reasoning & Computer Aptitude
- General/Economy/Banking Awareness
- English Language
The SBI PO Mains syllabus comprises a descriptive test as well. The descriptive test consists of two questions, one letter writing and one essay each of 25 marks making a total of 50 marks.
Candidates need to score passing marks in the descriptive test as well to qualify for the SBI PO mains exam.
The complete syllabus is discussed below:
SBI PO Syllabus: Data Analysis
- Tabular Graph,
- Line Graph,
- Pie Chart,
- Bar Graph,
- Radar Graph Case-let,
- Missing Case DI,
- Let it Case DI,
- Data Sufficiency,
- Permutation and Combination
SBI PO Syllabus: Reasoning
- Verbal Reasoning,
- Circular Seating Arrangement,
- Linear Seating Arrangement,
- Double Lineup,
- Blood Relations,
- Directions and Distances,
- Ordering and Ranking,
- Data Sufficiency,
- Coding and Decoding,
- Coded Inequalities,
- The course of Action,
- Critical Reasoning,
- Analytical and Decision Making
SBI PO Syllabus: English Language
- Reading Comprehension,
- Verbal Ability,
- Word Association,
- Sentence Improvement,
- Para Jumbles,
- Cloze Test,
- Error Spotting,
- Fill in the blanks
SBI PO Syllabus: General Awareness/ Economy/ Banking Awareness
- Financial Awareness,
- Current Affairs,
- General Knowledge,
- Static Awareness,
- Banking and Financial Awareness
SBI PO Syllabus: Computer Aptitude
- Keyboard Shortcuts,
- Computer Abbreviation,
- Microsoft Office,
- Computer Hardware,
- Computer Software,
- Operating System,
- Computer Fundamentals/ Terminologies,
SBI PO Syllabus: Group Exercise and Interview
This is the final stage of selection for successful candidates who qualify for the first two phases of the SBI PO exam. The Group Discussion accounts for 20 marks while the Interview is for 30 marks.
- The aggregate marks of all the candidates clearing both the Objective Tests and Descriptive Test will be arranged in descending order in each category.
- The decided number of candidates in each category, as governed by the Bank will be called for Group Exercises and Interview.
- The qualifying marks in Group Discussion & Interview will be as decided by the Bank.
SBI PO GD & PI Topics
The candidates who will be appearing for the SBI Group Discussion and Personal Interview will be given the burning topics. It will be quite useful if you prepare the Pros and Cons of the topic of the SBI PO GD & PI. Some of the topics on which the SBI PO GD and PI will be based are as follows:
- Impact of COVID-19 in the World
- Reservation System in Government Jobs.
- Water disputes
- FDI in India
- Gold Monetisation Scheme
- Women Empowerment
- Impact of Brexit
- Facebook–Cambridge Analytica data scandal
- Digital India
- Should cryptocurrency be made legal?
If questions on Financial topics are asked then, it can be related to NPA such as what is NPA, its genre, how can RBI and Banks take control over it. Merging of nationalized banks, How can we bring competency and profitability in Public Sector Banks, and so on. If they go with Non-Financial important issues/topics. It can be related to our nation and issues of national interest.
SBI PO 2021 Final Selection
The final score for the SBI PO Exam is calculated keeping the below points in mind:
- Marks secured in the Preliminary Exam (Phase-1) will not be considered for selection
- Candidates must qualify for Phase-2 and Phase-3 separately to be eligible
- Marks secured by the candidates in the SBI PO Mains Exam (out of 250 marks) are converted to out of 75 and marks secured in Group Exercises & Interview (out of 50 marks) are converted to out of 25. This makes the new total score (Mains + GD/PI) to be 100
- The aggregate score out of 100 is used for the final merit list for each category. Candidates with top merit rank in each category are finally selected.
SBI PO Exam 2021: Preparation
- To get through the SBI PO Exam 2021, one needs to practice as many mock test papers as possible. Regular practice helps you make you realize your mistakes and comprehend their performance.
- Take a tour at adda247.com to get SBI PO Online Classes, Books, Videos, Mock Test Papers to become an SBI PO.
- Solving SBI PO previous year papers can also be of great help to candidates. Previous year papers will let candidates understand the exact exam pattern based on the SBI PO syllabus for both prelims and mains exam.
- At adda247.com, you can even solve SBI PO Papers in Hindi as well.
- Candidates should also read newspapers, magazines, and journals to boost their communication and grammatical skills. This will also help in the general awareness, Descriptive Paper, Interview in the SBI PO Exam.
SBI PO Syllabus 2021: FAQ’s
Q1. When can I apply for the SBI PO 2021?
Ans. You can apply for SBI PO 2021 as soon as the Notification is released. You can expect it to be released in June 2021.
Q2. What is the marking scheme for SBI PO Syllabus 2021?
Ans. There will be three sections: Prelims, Mains, GD, and PI. Prelims will be of 100 marks, Mains of 250 marks including the Descriptive Test while GD & PI will be of 20 and 30 marks respectively.
Q3. Is there a negative marking in SBI PO 2021 Exam?
Ans. Yes. There will be a penalty of 0.25 marks for every incorrect answer.
Q4. Is there a sectional cut-off for SBI PO Exam 2021?
Ans. As per the new exam pattern, SBI has removed sectional cut off for both prelims and mains exam. However, there will be an Overall Cut Off.
Q5. What are the criteria for final selection as an SBI PO?
Ans. The final selection will be made based on the marks secured in the SBI PO Mains and GD & PI.
Q6. What kind of topics will be asked for SBI PO GD and PI?
Ans. The topics will cover the issues of burning issues of national and international interest. The topics can be related to NPI, Natural Calamity, Women Empowerment, Digitisation, etc.
Q7. How can I prepare for SBI PO Exam Online?
Ans. You can study online by visiting adda247.com. You will get video lectures, E-books, Books, and other materials as well.