GS 2: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
- Recently, Swachh Sarvekshan Gramin 2021 was launched by Ministry of Jal Shakti under the Swachh Bharat (SBM) Mission Phase- 2 as a part of the ‘Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav’.
- The Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation (DDWS) will undertake Swachh Survekshan Grameen 2021 countrywide to support acceleration of ODF Plus interventions.
About Swachh Survekshan Grameen
- It aims to increase momentum for improving ODF Sustainability as well as Solid and Liquid Waste Management (SLWM)activities across the villages in the country.
- DDWS had commissioned Swachh Survekshan Grameen (SSG)on two occasions earlier in 2018 and 2019.
- A detailed protocol has been developed to guide the ranking of districts based on their performance on key quality and quantitative parameters.
- SSG is not just a ranking exercise but has been a vehicle for creating a Jan Andolan (people’s movement).
Swachh Survekshan Grameen 2021 coverage
- The Survekshan 2021 will be conducted by an independent expert agency across 17,475 villages in 698 districts of the country.
- As part of the Survekshan, villages, districts and states would be ranked using key parameters.
- 87,250 public places namely schools, anganwadis, public health centres, haat/bazaars/religious places in these villages will be visited for survey.
- Around 1,74,750 households will be interviewed for their feedback on SBM related issues.
- Moreover, citizens will be mobilised to provide feedback on sanitation related issues online using an application developed for the purpose.
Weights of different parameters
- Direct observation of sanitation at public places: 30%
- Citizen’s feedback using a mobile App: 35%
- Service level progress on sanitation related parameters: 35%