- Recently, the Ministry of Culture informed the Lok Sabha about its plan to inaugurate new museums on Jammu and Kashmir, Gautam Buddha, Indian armor, and the freedom struggle by the end of 2021.
- The Ministry is also working on five other museums, which are being established by the National Museum at a cost of ₹5 crores.
- Museum on Jammu and Kashmir(J&K): will be set up at a cost of Rs. 13 crores in the capital.
- it will capture the essence and spirit of Jammu, Kashmir, and Ladakh as an integral part of the nation for ages.
- The museum will trace the roots of Jammu, Kashmir, and Ladakh from prehistoric times to the present day and telling unheard stories of the region and people which have been lost in the centuries of time.
- Museum on Freedom Struggle:
- will narrate the story of the country’s freedom struggle in an interactive manner.
- will provide more emphasis on the unheard stories of people’s participation in India’s freedom movement representing the contribution of all regions.
- Museum on Gautam Buddha:
- Will focus on the religious and traditional aspects of Buddhist heritage in India.
- Around 200 archeological objects like stone and bronze sculptures, terracotta heads and costumes will be there in the Museum.
- Other planned museums by the Ministry of Culture:
- Another museum for showcasing arms and armour of India through the ages.
- ‘Biplobi Bharat’ Museum: planned dedicated museum for freedom fighters at the Victoria Memorial Hall in Kolkata.
- National Museum, New Delhi: It is a subordinated office under the Ministry of Culture. It aims-
- To collect art objects of Historical, Cultural, and Artistic significance for the purpose of display, protection, preservation, and interpretation (research).
- To disseminate knowledge about the significance of the objects in respect of history, culture and artistic excellence, and achievements.
- To serve as a cultural centre for the enjoyment and interaction of the people in artistic and cultural activity.
- To serve as the epitome of national identity.