Chief Minister is the ‘elected’ head of the government in a state of India. The executive authority lies with the Chief Minister. According to the Constitution of India, a Governor is the head of the State and Chief Minister is the ‘de facto’ head of that particular state. The term of office for Chief Ministers of India is for a maximum of five years but there is no limit to the number of terms a person can serve as Chief Minister of India.
As per the Indian Constitution, in everyday administration, the Chief Minister is assisted by the Council of Ministers which consists of cabinet ministers, deputy ministers, and others. The Chief Minister is appointed by and sworn in by the Governor. According to Article 164 of the Indian Constitution, the Chief Minister shall be appointed by the governor. But this does not mean that the governor will appoint or free to appoint anyone as the Chief Minister.
State Wise List of Chief Ministers in India 2020 is as follows:
|State||Chief Ministers||Political Party|
|Andhra Pradesh||Shri YS Jagan Mohan Reddy||YSR Congress Party|
|Arunachal Pradesh||Shri Pema Khandu||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Assam||Shri Sarbananda Sonowal||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Bihar||Shri Nitish Kumar||Janata Dal (United)|
|Chhattisgarh||Shri Bhupesh Baghel||Indian National Congress|
|Delhi (NCT)||Shri Arvind Kejriwal||Aam Aadmi Party|
|Goa||Shri Pramod Sawant||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Gujarat||Shri Vijaybhai R. Rupani||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Haryana||Shri Manohar Lal Khattar||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Himachal Pradesh||Shri Jairam Thakur||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Jharkhand||Shri Hemant Soren||Jharkhand Mukti Morcha|
|Karnataka||Sri B. S. Yediyurappa||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Kerala||Shri Pinarayi Vijayan||Communist Party of India (Marxist)|
|Madhya Pradesh||Shri Shivraj Singh Chouhan||Bharatiya Janta Party|
|Maharashtra||Shri Uddhav Thackeray||Shiv Sena|
|Manipur||Shri N. Biren Singh||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Meghalaya||Shri Conrad Kongkal Sangma||National People’s Party|
|Mizoram||Shri Pu Zoramthanga||Mizo National Front|
|Nagaland||Shri Neiphiu Rio||Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party|
|Odisha||Shri Naveen Patnaik||Biju Janata Dal|
|Puducherry (UT)||Shri. V. Narayanasamy||Indian National Congress|
|Punjab||Shri Capt. Amarinder Singh||Indian National Congress|
|Rajasthan||Shri Ashok Gehlot||Indian National Congress|
|Sikkim||Prem Singh Tamang||Sikkim Krantikari Morcha|
|Tamil Nadu||Thiru Edappadi K. Palaniswami||All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam|
|Telangana||Shri K Chandrasekhar Rao||Telangana Rashtra Samithi|
|Tripura||Shri Biplab Kumar Deb||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Uttar Pradesh||Shri Yogi Aditya Nath||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Uttarakhand||Shri Trivendra Singh Rawat||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|West Bengal||Km. Mamata Banerjee||All India Trinamool Congress|
Some Key Facts
– The oldest Chief Minister in India is from Himachal Pradesh Virbhadra Singh.
– Sikkim’s Pawan Kumar Chamling has the longest incumbency; he is serving since December 1994 for 22 years.
– The youngest state Chief Minister of India is from Arunachal Pradesh namely Pema Khandu.
– In the history of independent India, the first woman Chief Minister was Sucheta Kriplani of the Indian National Congress (INC).
– Mayawati was the first Dalit Chief Minister of any Indian state. She was from the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP).
– The shortest-term as a Chief Minister was served by Nadendla Bhaskara Rao. He remained the CM of Andhra Pradesh for a very brief period of only 31 days in 1984.
– The only female Chief Minister to lead her government for three consecutive terms in any state of independent India is Sheila Dikshit of the INC. She remained the CM of Delhi for a continuous term from 1998 to 2013.
– C N Annadurai from Tamil Nadu was the first Chief Minister who died in office.
– The only woman Chief Minister to have remained in office for a mere term of 23 days is Janaki Ramachandran of AIADMK.
– Syeda Anwara Taimur, the first Muslim woman to become the Chief Minister of any state in India.