Jal Jeevan Mission- Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 2: Governance, Administration and Challenges– Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
Jal Jeevan Mission in News
- Recently while addressing a webinar, Prime Minister stressed upon use of Technology, Service Delivery & Community Participation to achieve ‘Har Ghar Jal’ under Jal Jeevan Mission by 2024.
- ‘Har Ghar Jal’ under Jal Jeevan Mission aims to provide about 4 Crore tap water connections in rural households this year.
Analysis of Yojana Magazine: Jal Jivan Mission(Har Ghar Jal)
How much is allocated for Jal Jeevan Mission in the Union Budget 2022?
- Rs 60,000 Crore has been allocated in the current financial year under the Union Budget 2022 for the ‘Har Ghar Jal’ under Jal Jeevan Mission.
Achievements of Jal Jeevan Mission
- Overall Coverage: Due to the effective implementation of Har Ghar Jal Yojna, India is close to providing 50% of its population with tap water connections.
- 100 districts, 1,144 blocks, 66,763-gram panchayats and 1,37,940 villages have become ‘Har Ghar Jal’.
- States & UTs with 100% coverage: Three States- Goa, Telangana and Haryana and three UTs- A&N Islands, D&N Haveli & Daman & Diu and Puducherry have provided 100% tap water coverage.
- Other leading states: Other States are fast-moving and are close to achieving 100% coverage shortly. Of these Punjab stands at 99%, Himachal Pradesh at 93%, Gujarat at 92% and Bihar at 90%.
What is the Vision of the Jal Jeevan Mission
- Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM) aims to ensure that every rural household has a drinking water supply in adequate quantity of prescribed quality on a regular and long-term basis at affordable service delivery charges.
- Affordable access to quality drinking water will lead to improvement in the living standards of rural communities.
Objectives of the Jal Jeevan Mission (Har Ghar Jal)
- Access to tap water: JJM aims to provide FHTC to every rural household.
- Targeted Approach: Jal Jeevan Mission prioritizes provision of FHTCs in quality affected areas, villages in drought-prone and desert areas, Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY) villages, etc.
- Access to tap water at public places: JJM aims to provide functional tap connections to Schools, Anganwadi centres, GP buildings, Health centres, wellness centres, and community buildings
- Monitoring: Jal Jeevan Missio also provides for monitoring the functionality of tap connections.
- Local Ownership: JJM promotes and ensures voluntary ownership among the local community by way of contribution in cash, kind and/ or labour and voluntary labour (shramdaan)
- Ensuring Sustainability of water system: JJM also assists in ensuring the sustainability of water supply system, i.e. water source, water supply infrastructure, and funds for regular O&M.
- Human Resource Development: JJM has provisions to empower and develop human resources in the sector such that the demands of construction, plumbing, electrical, water quality management, water treatment, catchment protection, O&M, etc. are taken care of in the short and long term.
- Awareness Generation: JJM also aims to bring awareness on various aspects and significance of safe drinking water and the involvement of stakeholders in a manner that makes water everyone’s business.