Daily news will speed up the preparation for the Civil Services Examination and it also plays a crucial role to grasp the current affairs topic comprehensively. Here we have covered most of the topics related to various categories including National, International, Sports, Science and Technology, and so on.
1. 11th National Voters’ Day
– It is celebrated on 25th January and this year it is 11th National Voters’ Day. The theme for this year’s NVD is ‘Making Our Voters Empowered, Vigilant, Safe and Informed’. The theme focuses on ECI’s commitment towards conducting elections safely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
– Honourable President of India, Ram Nath Kovind will be the Chief Guest at the national function being organized in New Delhi by the Election Commission of India. The event will be held at the Ashok Hotel, New Delhi and the Honourable President shall grace the occasion virtually from Rashtrapati Bhawan.
– Ravi Shankar Prasad, Honourable Union Minister for Law and Justice, Communications and Electronics and Information Technology will grace the function as the Guest of Honour.
– The National Voters’ Day has been celebrated on January 25 every year since 2011, all across the country to mark the foundation day of Election Commission of India, i.e. 25th January 1950.
– The main purpose of the NVD celebration is to encourage, facilitate and maximize enrolment, especially for the new voters.
– Dedicated to the voters of the country, the day is utilized to spread awareness among voters and for promoting informed participation in the electoral process.
– New voters are felicitated and handed over their Elector Photo Identity Card (EPIC) in the NVD functions.
– During the event, the Honourable President of India will confer the National Awards for the year 2020-21 and launch ECI’s Web Radio:‘Hello Voters’.
– Ravi Shankar Prasad, Honourable Union Minister for Law and Justice, Communications and Electronics and Information Technology will launch the e-EPIC programme and distribute e-EPICs and Elector Photo Identity Cards to five new voters. e-EPIC, a digital version of the Elector Photo Identity Card can be accessed through the Voter Helpline App and websites.
– Honourable Minister, Mr. Prasad will also release three publications of the Election Commission during the event. Copies of these documents will be presented to the Honourable President of India.
– Three publications are Conducting Election During Pandemic- A Photo Journey, SVEEP Endeavours: Awareness initiatives during Lok Sabha Election, 2019, and Chalo Karen Matdaan.
2. Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar- 2021
– 32 children have been awarded the Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar, 2021.
– The Government of India has been awarding the Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar to the children with exceptional abilities and outstanding accomplishments, in the fields of innovation, scholastics, sports, arts & culture, social service and bravery.
– The awardee children are from 32 districts of 21 States/UTs. 7 awards have been given in the field of Art & Culture, 9 awards have been given for Innovation and 5 for scholastic achievements.
– 7 children have won in Sports category, 3 children have been felicitated for Bravery and one child has been honoured for her efforts in the field of Social Service.
– While commending the young achievers, the Hon’ble President of India, Ram Nath Kovind has stated in a message that “I am hopeful that Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar, 2021 would not only motivate the winners but will also encourage millions of other young children to dream, aspire and stretch their limits.
3. 72nd Republic Day
– The President of India, Ram Nath Kovind, will address the nation tomorrow (25 January, 2021) on the eve of the 72nd Republic Day.
– As per Press release, the address will be broadcast from 1900 hrs. on the entire national network of All India Radio (AIR) and telecast over all channels of Doordarshan in Hindi followed by the English version.
– Broadcast of the address in Hindi and English on Doordarshan will be followed by broadcast in regional languages by regional channels of Doordarshan.
– AIR will broadcast regional language versions from 2130 hrs. onwards on its respective regional networks.
4. Joint Military Exercise in the Andaman Sea
– Towards enhancing joint operational readiness, Indian Armed Forces conducted a large-scale conjoint military training exercise “KAVACH” along with “AMPHEX-21” in the Andaman Sea and Bay of Bengal.
– The exercise was conducted under the aegis of Andaman and Nicobar Command (ANC) with the participation of Eastern Naval Command (ENC) and Army Southern Command (SC) involving assets of Army, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard.
– The exercise involved participation and deployment of all forces of ANC, elements of Amphibious Brigade of Army’s Southern Command along with corvettes, submarine and amphibious landing ships of Navy’s Eastern Fleet and Marine Commandos.
– Jaguar Maritime Strike and transport aircraft from Indian Air Force and assets of Coast Guard also participated.
The exercise commenced with maritime strikes by Jaguar aircraft, Para Commandos and Marine Commandos carrying out Combat Free Fall at Car Nicobar with an aim to validate air dominance and maritime strike capability within the area of interest in Indian Ocean Region (IOR).
– Prior to amphibious landing operations, troops of the Army, Navy and Air Force were mobilised and transported by sea and air in close coordination with all agencies.
To know more about Fundamental Rights – V: Click Here
– As part of shaping the battlefield, MARCOS along with their combat loads and Air Droppable Rigid Hull Inflatable Boats (ADR) were dropped over the Andaman Sea, enabling the Marine Commandos to reach the target with stealth and speed.
– MI-17 V5 Armed Helicopters undertook precision targeting against designated enemy assets at sea and on land. The training exercise culminated with the beach landing operations by elements of Amphibious Brigade of Southern Command from INS Jalashwa, Airavat, Guldar and LCU MK-4 class of ships with 600 troops along with tanks, troop carrier vehicles and other heavy weapons.
– The exercise also validated joint capabilities of intelligence gathering from space, air, land and sea-based assets, its synthesis, analysis and near real-time sharing to achieve battlefield transparency for quick decision making.
Aiming for UPSC CSE 2021? Get the best test series for sure selection: Click Here
5. “Highways of Life is about truckers of Manipur and their struggle”
– Films Division’s 52-minute documentary made by Amarjeet Singh Maibam, , tracks the journey of a group of truckers as they manoeuvre through perilous highways, risking their lives, ferrying essential commodities to serve the people of Manipur.
– The film has been chosen at the 51st International Film Festival of India under the Indian Panorama Non-feature Films.
– “Highways of Life is about truckers of Manipur and their struggle” – Director Amar Maibam
– National Highway 2 and 37 which are considered as the lifelines of Manipur connects the landlocked state to the rest of the world.
– The documentary which has been made over a period of five years picturizes the economic blockades, strikes, extortion and bad road conditions that make the highways a life-threatening terrain for truckers.
– The film has won many accolades including Best International Documentary in Liberation DocFest Bangladesh, Best Indian documentary at Kolkata International Film Festival, Best Non-Feature Film, Best Direction, Best Cinematography and Best Editing at the Manipur State Film Awards 2020.
– The film is an indexical of the unfavourable manmade predicaments the people of Manipur are currently facing, narrated through the daily difficulties faced by a trucker in the national highways that connect Manipur.
– Amarjeet Singh Maibam has directed and shot many fiction and non-fiction for Doordarshan. His independent documentary films include ‘City of Victims’, ‘My Generous Village’, and (co-directed) ‘Nawa – Spirit of Atey’.
6. Golden Peacock Award at 51st IFFI
– The epic World War II film Into the Darkness (De forbandede år,) which portrays the story of a Danish electronics factory owner who is forced to produce for the occupying Nazi forces, has won the coveted Golden Peacock Award at the just-concluded 51st edition of the International Film Festival of India.
– Directed by Anders Refn, the 152-minute Danish film gives a gripping dive into the complex emotional turmoil which the people of Denmark had to undergo, during the Nazi occupation of the country.
– The film does this evocatively and powerfully, through the mental conflicts to which the protagonist Karlskov is subjected; on the one hand, he is being forced by the invaders to continue production for the German market, to protect his family; on the other hand, the moral indefensibility of this choice results also in painful breaks within his family.
– The Golden Peacock Award consists of a cash prize of Rs. 40 lakhs (Rs. 4 million) to be shared equally between Director Anders Refn and Producer Lene Børglum, both of whom have also been presented with a certificate each as well.
– The Silver Peacock for the Best Director goes to Taiwanese Director, writer and producer Chen-Nien Ko, for her 2020 Mandarin drama film The Silent Forest, a candid and heart-wrenching exposition of the systemic sexual abuse that happens in a school for children with special needs.
– The Silver Peacock for Best Director carries a certificate and cash award of 15 lakh rupees (Rs. 1.5 million).
– The Silver Peacock for Best Actor – Male too has been awarded to 17-year-old Tzu-Chuan Liu, who through his role as the protagonist Chang Cheng in The Silent Forest, has been able to beautifully and powerfully bring out the world of the differently-abled boy.
– Liu is known also for his roles in 76 Horror Bookstore (2020) and On Children (2018). The award carries a certificate and cash award of 10 lakh rupees (Rs. 1 million).
– The Silver Peacock for Best Actor – Female has been awarded to Polish actor Zofia Stafiej, for her role in Piotr Domalewski’s I Never Cry / Jak najdalej stad, a film which explores the journey of self-discovery of a daughter who has to traverse the maze of bureaucracy in a foreign country to bring back the body of her dead father. Stafiej receives a certificate and cash award of 10 lakh rupees for the award. Stafiej is known also for 25 lat niewinnosci. Sprawa Tomka Komendy (2020) and Marcel (2019).
7. China’s New Villages in Arunachal Pradesh
– Recently, there have been reports of Chinese construction of three villages in Arunachal Pradesh 5 kilometres from the Bum La pass.
– Bum La Pass is one of the four officially agreed BPM (Border Personnel Meeting) points between the Indian Army and the People’s Liberation Army of China.
– Earlier in 2020, China had begun work on a strategically significant railway line that will link Sichuan province with Nyingchi in Tibet, which lies close to Arunachal Pradesh border.
– The satellite images, dated November 2020, show that a full-fledged village has been built on the banks of the River Tsari Chu in the Upper Subansiri district of Arunachal Pradesh.
– The village is located a couple of kilometres across the Line of Actual Control (LAC). China had earlier built a permanent construction of military barracks in this area. The area has been under Chinese control since 1959.
8. Digital Copyright Payments
– Recently, Google has signed a deal with a group of French publishers to make digital copyright payments for online news content.
– A similar tussle is ongoing between the Australian government and global tech platforms (google and facebook) over the sharing of royalties with news publishers.
– France became the first country to enshrine the European Union copyright rules into national law. This brought into effect ‘neighbouring rights’ law.
– The newly adopted EU directive ensures that media are paid for original content, typically news, offered online by tech giants such as Google and Facebook.
– Under the new law, Google was forced to negotiate to pay the publishers and news agencies for reusing their material online.
Join UPSC & State PSC Channel ? Click Here