Daily news will speed up the preparation for the Civil Services Examination and it also plays a crucial role to grasp the current affairs topic comprehensively. Here we have covered most of the topics related to various categories including National, International, Sports, Science and Technology, and so on.
1. ‘INS Kavaratti’
– The last of four indigenously built Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) stealth corvettes “INS Kavaratti” under Project 28 (Kamorta class) is scheduled to be commissioned into the Indian Navy by General Manoj Mukund Naravane, PVSM, AVSM, SM, VSM, ADC, Chief of the Army Staff at Naval Dockyard, Visakhapatnam on 22 October 20.
– Touted as a potent Stealth ASW Corvette, Kavaratti is indigenously designed by the Indian Navy’s in-house organisation, Directorate of Naval Design(DND), and built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers (GRSE), Kolkata.
– The ship has up to 90% indigenous content and the use of carbon composites for the superstructure is a commendable feat achieved in Indian shipbuilding.
– Kavaratti has state-of-the-art weapons and sensor suite capable of detecting and prosecuting submarines.
– In addition to its anti-submarine warfare capability, the ship also has a credible self-defence capability and good endurance for long-range deployments.
– Kavaratti takes her name from erstwhile INS Kavaratti which was an Arnala class missile corvette.
– The older Kavaratti distinguished herself by operating in support of was Bangladesh’s liberation in 1971.
2. World Bank- IMF annual meeting 2020
– Dr Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare virtually addressed the World Bank- IMF annual meeting on 21 October, 2020.
– The theme of the meeting was “Unleashing the South Asian Century through Human Capital for All” and “Investing in Covid-19 Vaccines and Primary Healthcare Delivery System”.
3. 317th Executive Council meeting of the Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA)
– MoS (PP) Dr Jitendra Singh presided over the 317th Executive Council meeting of the Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA) as its new Chairman on 21 October, 2020.
– The post of Chairman IIPA had fallen vacant after the demise of T N Chaturvedi, a 1949 batch IAS officer, former Comptroller & Auditor General (CAG) of India and former Governor, who had taken over as Chairman of the IIPA in 2004 and continued to hold this position for sixteen years till his death on 5th January 2020.
– Dr Jitendra Singh in a meeting made the important announcement that the Life Membership of IIPA will be thrown open w.e.f. 1st January 2021.
4. “Aditi Urja Sanch”
– The Union Minister of Science and Technology and Earth Sciences, Dr. Harsh Vardhan inaugurated the DME fired “Aditi Urja Sanch” unit along with the DME-LPG blended fuel cylinders.
– Handed them over for common public and CSIR-NCL (National Chemical Laboratory) canteen use on a trial basis at CSIR-NCL premises virtually through video-conferencing.
5. FDI Inflow
– Total Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) inflow of USD 35.73 billion was received from April to August, 2020.
– For the first 5 months of a financial year, it is the highest ever.
– In the first quarter (April-June 2020), FDI inflow has increased despite Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth contracted 23.9%.
– It is 13% higher as compared to the first five months of 2019-20 (USD 31.60 billion).
– Total FDI inflow grew by 55%, i.e. from USD 231.37 billion in 2008-14 to USD 358.29 billion in 2014-20.
– During April to August, 2020, FDI equity inflow (one of the three components of FDI) received was USD 27.10 billion.
– The increased FDI inflows into the country is due to the measures taken by the Government on the fronts of FDI policy reforms, investment facilitation and ease of doing business.
– As per World Investment Report 2020 by the UNCTAD, India was the 9th largest recipient of FDI in 2019.
6. Centre’s Farm LAws have been rejected by the Punjab Assembly
– Punjab recently became the first State in the country to formally reject the Central government’s three Farm Acts by passing three Bills to negate the Union laws.
– Also, the proposed Electricity Amendment Bill is rejected and demanded their immediate annulment.
7. Taiwan Insecurity of China
– China recently has objected to any official exchanges between India and Taiwan.
The statement f China is that India and Taiwan were considering going forward with talks on a trade deal.
As per China, the ‘One-China principle’ is a universal consensus of the international community, including India.
There is an objection fromChina to the recent campaign (posters and social media) in India wishing Taiwan “Happy National Day” (October 10) and referring to it as a “country” or a “nation”.
In the upcoming Malabar Naval Exercise, China is also opposing the inclusion of Australia with India, Japan and the United States.