- Recently, Delhi High Court has asked the Centre to respond to a petition highlighting the inaction of the Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) over reports of alleged cybersecurity breaches and data leaks on online platforms of Big Basket, Domino’s, MobiKwik, and Air India.
Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In)
- About: Established in 2004, CERT-In is the national nodal agency for responding to computer security incidents as and when they occur.
- The constituency of CERT-In is the Indian Cyber Community.
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Parent Ministry: works as a functional organization of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
- Key functions: as provided by Information Technology (Amendment) Act 2008. It designated CERT-In to serve as the national agency to perform the following functions in the area of cybersecurity:
- Collection, analysis, and dissemination of information on cyber incidents.
- Forecast and alerts of cybersecurity incidents
- Emergency measures for handling cybersecurity incidents
- Coordination of cyber incident response activities.
- Issue guidelines, advisories, vulnerability notes, and whitepapers relating to information
- security practices, procedures, prevention, response, and reporting of cyber incidents.
- Such other functions relating to cybersecurity as may be prescribed.
Key steps taken by government to ensure cyber security
- National Cyber Security Policy, 2013: aimed at building a secure and resilient cyberspace for citizens, businesses, and the Government.
- Cyber Swachhta Kendra’: they are Botnet Cleaning and Malware Analysis Centre, created to combat cybersecurity violations and prevent their increase.
- It was launched in 2017 by CERT-In as a desktop and mobile security solution for cybersecurity in India.
- Cyber Surakshit Bharat Yojana: It is an awareness generation program and conducts workshops on best practices and enablement of the officials with cybersecurity health tool kits.
- It was launched by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology in association with National e-Governance Division (NeGD) and industry players in 2018.
- Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre(I4C): created to combat cybercrime in India in a comprehensive and coordinated manner.
- Established in 2018 and functions under the Ministry of Home Affairs.