UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2021: National Testing Agency (NTA) had reopened the UGC NET application form for the post of Assistant Professor and Junior Research Fellowship (JRF). NTA has also released the revised examination date i.e. from 6 Oct to 11 Oct 2021. UGC has also revised the age limit for JRF which will be applicable for this current examination only. JRF applied candidate age limit should not be more than 31 yr as of 01.10.2021 (October 1, 2021). NTA has determined the eligibility criteria for candidates who appear for the JRF and Assistant Professor Post. UGC NET 2021 Eligibility criteria are different for JRF and Assistant Professor Post. Before applying for UGC NET Exam, it is mandatory to go through the UGC NET Eligibility 2021 in detail to make sure you are not disqualified at further stages.
In order to be eligible to appear for the examination, candidates must meet the required UGC NET eligibility criteria 2021 including the educational qualifications, age limit, reservation criteria, etc provided in this post.
UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2021
1.Candidates who have appeared for their qualifying master’s degree (Final year) examination and whose result is still awaited can appear in the UGC NET 2021 Examination.
Candidates who have secured at least 55% marks in Master’s Degree OR equivalent examination from universities/ institutions recognized by UGC in Humanities (including languages) and Social Science, Computer Science & Applications, Electronic Science, etc. are eligible for this Test.
2. For Ph.D. degree holders: The Ph.D. degree holders whose Master’s level examination have been completed by 19 September 1991 (irrespective of the date of declaration of result) shall be eligible for a relaxation of 5% in aggregate marks (i.e. from 55% to 50%) for appearing in NET
3. For Transgender category: The transgender category would be eligible to draw the same relaxation in fee, age, and qualifying criteria for NET (i.e. JRF and Assistant Professor) as are available to SC/ST/PwD categories. The subject-wise cut-offs for this category should be the lowest among those for SC/ST/PwD/OBC–NCL categories in the corresponding subject.
4.For Reserved Category: The Other Backward Classes(OBC)/ Scheduled Caste(SC)/Scheduled Tribe(ST)/ persons with disability(PwD) category candidates who have secured at least 50% marks in Master’s degree or equivalent examination are eligible for this test.
UGC NET Age Limit 2021
- No maximum age limit is prescribed for Lectureship or Asst. Professorship.
- Revised Age Limit for For Junior Research Fellowship- Not more than 31 years as on 01.10.2021 (October 1, 2021)
In UGC NET Examination, the age relaxation has been given to various categories which are mentioned below:
|S. No.||Category||Age Limit Relaxation
|1||Scheduled Caste / Scheduled Tribe||5 years|
|2||Other Backward Classes (OBC -NCL)|
|4||Persons with disabilities (PwD)|
|6||Candidates having research experience||A period spent on research – Maximum 5 years|
|7||Candidates possessing L.L.M. Degree||3 years|
|8||Candidates who have served in the armed forces||5 years|
UGC NET Exemptions For Assistant Professor
1.NET/SET/SLET shall remain the minimum eligibility condition for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professors in Universities/Colleges/ Institutions. In this regard, exemption from NET/SET/SLET will be governed by UGC regulations and amendments notified in the Gazette of India from time to time.
2.The candidates who have passed the UGC/CSIR/ JRF examination prior to 1989 are also exempted from appearing in NET
3. For SET Candidates: The candidates who have cleared the States Eligibility Test (SET) for Assistant Professor held prior to 1st June 2002, are exempted from appearing in NET, and are eligible to apply for Assistant Professor anywhere in India.
4.Those who have cleared State(s) Eligibility Test from 1st June 2002 onwards, the qualified candidates are eligible to apply for the post of Assistant Professor only in the universities/colleges situated in the State from where they have cleared their SET.
5. PhD degrees holder in accordance with GC Regulations, 2009 are exempted from the requirement of meeting the minimum eligibility criteria for UGC NET.
UGC NET 2021 Exam Reservation
The reservation policy of the Government of India is applicable to UGC-NET. According to this, in the Central Universities and Institutions which are deemed to be Universities, the reservation of seats shall be as follows:
(i) 15% of the seats for Scheduled Castes (SC) candidates
(ii) 7.5% of the seats for Scheduled Tribes (ST) candidates
(iii) 27% of the seats for Other Backward Classes (OBC) Non-Creamy Layer (NCL) candidates as per the Central List*
(iv) 10% of the seats for General – Economically Weaker Sections (General – EWS) candidates
(v) 04% of the seats in the mentioned categories for Persons with Disability (PwD) with 40% or more disability.
(vi) # Reservation for Kashmiri Migrant (subject to notification from Ministry of Education for Academic Session 2021-22).
FAQ: UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2021
Q. What is the minimum age limit for a UGC NET Assistant professor?
Ans. There is no upper age limit in applying for UGC-NET for Assistant Professor
Q. When will be the exam conducted?
A.The UGC- NET 2020 Exam date will be Conduct from 06 October to 11 October 2021
Q. What will be the Timing of the Examination?
Ans. The examination will be held in two shifts i.e. First Shift: 9.00 am to 12.00 pm Second Shift: 3.00 pm to 06.00 pm
Q. Is there a criterion for negative marking?
Ans. There are no negative marks for incorrect responses.
Q: Is UGC NET conducted online?
Ans: Yes, ever since NTA has started conducting the exam, UGC NET is conducted in online mode as a computer-based test (CBT) only.
You can also read :
- UGC NET Syllabus & Exam Pattern 2021
- Procedure To Fill UGC NET Online Application Form 2021
- UGC NET Notification 2021
- Tips And Tricks To Crack UGC NET 2021
- Strategy for UGC NET 2021 Paper 1