The Central Government has proposed the National Education Policy 2020(NEP) paving way for a new Teaching Selection Process. With NEP 2020, a lot of changes have been introducing in the selection process of the new recruitment process of teachers. The NEP 2020 has proposed to adopt the 5+3+3+4 structure for the school curriculum. It will comprise of a Foundational Stage i.e., 3 years of Anganwadi/pre-school + 2 years in primary school in Grades 1-2, Preparatory Stage Grades 3-5, Middle Stage for Grades 6-8, and Secondary Stage covering Grades 9-12 in two phases, i.e., 9 and 10 in the first and 11 and 12 in the second phase.
Here we are going to provide information related to the NEP 2020 and its impact on the hiring of teachers. Hence, the students who are opting for a career in teaching can check out the same to know what’s in store for them:
Highlights of 5+3+3+4 System
|NPE 2020||10+2 System||5+3+3+4 System|
|Structure||Existing Academic Structure||New Academic Structure|
|Stages||2 Stages||4 stages|
|Time period||12 yr School Yr||15 yr (12 School Yr + 3 Pre School yr)|
Teaching Selection Process As Per NEP 2020-21
The major highlights of the NEP 2020 with respect to the teacher’s recruitment are mentioned below:
- TET or NTA test scores in the corresponding subjects while recruiting a teacher.
- The board will issue special merit-based scholarships will be established that also include preferential employment in their local areas upon successful completion of their B.Ed. programs
- Teacher’s demonstrative abilities and proficiency in the local language will also be checked so that every school/school complex has at least some teachers who can converse with students in the local language.
- The state will conduct a technology-based comprehensive teacher-requirement planning forecasting exercise for assessing the number of teachers required in a state.
- Each teacher will be expected to participate in at least 50 hours of r Continuous Professional Development (CPD) opportunities every year for their own professional development, driven by their own interests.
- Teachers will be given more autonomy in choosing aspects of pedagogy, so that they may teach in the manner they find most effective for the students in their classrooms. Teachers will also focus on socio-emotional learning – a critical aspect of any student’s holistic development. Teachers will be recognized for novel approaches to teaching that improve learning outcomes in their classrooms
- As per NEP 2020, By 2030, the minimum degree qualification for any teaching will be a 4-year integrated B.Ed. the degree that teaches a range of knowledge content and pedagogy and includes strong practicum training in the form of student-teaching at local schools. This Integrated B.Ed course will be offered to students who are willing to complete bachelors in a specialized subject.
- These 1-year B.Ed. programs will be offered to only those students who have completed their 4-year Integrated degree or who have completed a Master’s degree in the specialty.
- The candidates who pursue a 4-year B.Ed degree can successfully apply for a teaching job in a government school with a TET or CTET or STET certificate.
- Along with this, now the candidates who have qualified for the CTET or TET will now be eligible to teach students of Class 6th to 8th standard in any government school/
- The government will also offer special shorter local teacher education programs at BITEs, DIETs, or at school complexes themselves for eminent local persons who can work as master instructors at schools or school complexes.
- Similarly, the candidates will also be offered Shorter tern post-B.Ed. certification courses for those students who wish to pursue more than one subject for teaching in government schools. These courses will be strictly available at Colleges or Universities.
- With the adoption of NEP 2020, the promotion of teachers will be based completely on the merit of the candidates. If the candidate’s performance is found satisfactory within the school then he will be promoted through internal promotions.
- Along with this, the government has decided to provide Incentives to teachers who will work in those rural areas that are facing a shortage of teachers. In addition to this, the rural teachers will also get local housing near or inside the school premised along with an increased housing allowance.
- The NEP 2020 will include special subject teachers for children with disabilities/Divyang children at the Middle and Secondary school levels.
- From 2030, the government has proposed that teacher education will gradually be moved 2030 into multidisciplinary colleges and universities. As colleges and universities all move towards becoming multidisciplinary, they will also aim to house outstanding education departments that offer B.Ed., M.Ed., and Ph.D. degrees in education
- A new and comprehensive National Curriculum Framework for Teacher Education(NCFTE 2021) is proposed to be formulated by the NCTE in consultation with NCERT, based on the principles of this National Education Policy 2020.
To know more about NEP 2020:
|National Education Policy 2021 – Check NEP Complete Details Here|