Directions(Q.1-10): Pick out the most effective word from the given words to fill in the blanks to make the sentence meaningfully complete.
1. I congratulate you __________ your wonderful achievement.
(Preposition ‘on’ in used with “congratulate “)
2. It is earth’s gravity which __________ people their weight.
3. Total weight of all the ants in the world is much greater than __________.
(a) To all human beings
(b) That of all human beings
(c) Is of all human beings
(d) That of the all the human beings
(In such structures, when comparison is done, we use “than that of”)
4. It is good form to use the name of the person __________.
(a) Who are greeting
(b) You are greeting
(c) Which you are greeting
(d) Greeting for you
(You are greeting – is correct word order. second part of the sentence should be in a statement form)
5. __________ that increasing numbers of compact-disc players will be bought by consumers in the years to come.
(a) They are anticipated
(b) In anticipation
(d) It is anticipated
(passive form of the sentence structure will be used when we do not specify/highlight the subject or doer)
6. __________ business, a merger is a combination of two or more corporations under one management.
(preposition ‘in’ is appropriate here)
7. A __________ firms are having trouble with industrial relations.
(a) Considerable amount of
(b) Great deal of
(c) Large part of
(d) Great many
(“a great many” is correct phrase. it means a lot of numbers)
8. He was frightened __________.
(a) To be killed
(b) To being killed
(c) For being killed
(d) Of being killed
(‘frightened + of’ preposition is correct )
9. Capitalist society __________ profit as a valued goal.
(a) Which regards
(d) Was regarded
(Regards – present simple form of the verb will be used in this context)
10. __________ the rainfall was adequate this year, the mango trees still did not produce a high yield.
(c) Due to
(d) In spite of
(Although shows contradiction in expression, hence correctly used in this context)