Presidents in India forms a major part of Polity and Static General Knowledge. Questions related to the Presidents of India are frequently asked in almost every govt. competitive exams, ranging from UPSC, SSC to PSC Exams. Therefore, to ease your preparation for the competitive exams, we present to you the list of Presidents of India from 1950 to the present.
President of India: Features
- The President of India is the head of the State and the Supreme Commander of the Indian Armed Forces.
- The President of India is the first citizen of India.
- He is elected by an Electoral College which comprises of elected members of the Lok Sabha, the Rajya Sabha, and also members of the Vidhan Sabha, the state legislative assemblies of the Union Territories of Delhi and Puducherry.
- The President of India holds office for a tenure of five years from the date on which he enters upon his office and does not represent any political party. However, he can resign from his office at any time by addressing the resignation letter to the Vice-President.
- Since the implementation of the Indian Constitution in 1950, 14 presidents have been elected.
- The Vice President acts as President in the absence of the president due to death, resignation, impeachment, or other situations. The Vice President of India is M. Venkaiah Naidu.
List of Presidents in India from 1950 till 2020 is given in the table below on this page.
List of Presidents of India: 1950-Present
The list of Presidents Of India is given here. The Constitution was adopted by the Constituent Assembly on 26th November 1949 and came into effect from 26th January 1950. Dr. Rajendra Prasad was the first President of India to hold the office since the day of the implementation of the Constitution. Aspirants of Government exams or any other competitive exams must know the list of Indian Presidents and the time duration they have served as the nation’s head. The list of Presidents in India is given below in the table.
|List of Presidents of India: 1950-2020|
|Name of the President||Birth Tenure||Tenure|
|Dr. Rajendra Prasad||1884-1963||January 26, 1950 – May 13, 1962|
|Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan||1888-1975||May 13, 1962 – May 13, 1967|
|Dr. Zakir Hussain||1897-1969||May 13, 1967 – May 03, 1969|
|Varahagiri Venkatagiri (Acting President)||1884-1980||May 03, 1969 – July 20, 1969|
|Justice Mohammad Hidayatullah (Acting President)||1905-1992||July 20, 1969 – August 24, 1969|
|Varahagiri Venkatagiri||1884-1980||August 24, 1969 – August 24, 1974|
|Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed||1905-1977||August 24, 1974 – February 11, 1977|
|B.D. Jatti (Acting President)||1913-2002||February 11, 1977 – July 25, 1977|
|Neelam Sanjiva Reddy||1913-1996||July 25, 1977 – July 25, 1982|
|Giani Zail Singh||1916-1994||July 25, 1982 – July 25, 1987|
|R. Venkataraman||1910-2009||July 25, 1987 – July 25, 1992|
|Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma||1918-1999||July 25, 1992 – July 25, 1997|
|K.R. Narayanan||1920-2005||July 25, 1997 – July 25, 2002|
|Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam||1931-2015||July 25, 2002 – July 25, 2007|
|Smt. Pratibha Devisingh Patil||Birth-1934||July 25, 2007 – July 25, 2012|
|Shri Pranab Mukherjee||Birth-1935||July 25, 2012 – July 25, 2017|
|Shri Ram Nath Kovind||Birth-1945||July 25, 2017 – Incumbent|
Presidents of India- FAQ’s
Q1. Who was the first President Of India?
Ans: The first President of India was Dr. Rajendra Preasad.
Q2. Who is the only female President of India?
Ans: The only female President Of India is Smt. Pratibha Devisingh Patil.
Q3. Who is India’s present Vice President?
Ans: The current Vice President Of India is Shri. Muppavarapu Venkaiah Naidu. He is also the Chairman of the Rajya Sabha since 11 August 2017.
Q4. Who has served the longest time as President Of India?
Ans: The longest-serving President of India was Dr. Rajendra Prasad.