Daily news will speed up the preparation for the Civil Services Examination and it also plays a crucial role to grasp the current affairs topic comprehensively. Here we have covered most of the topics related to various categories including National, International, Sports, Science and Technology, and so on.
- NATIONAL COUNCIL FOR TRANSGENDER PERSONS
- Under the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2019, the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has constituted the National Council for Transgender Persons.
- The Council formulates policies, programmes, legislation and projects regarding members of the community for achieving equality and full participation by them.
- The other functions of the Council are to review and coordinate the activities of all the departments of government and other governmental and non-governmental organisations dealing with matters relating to transgender persons, to redress the grievances of transgender persons, and to perform such other functions as may be prescribed by the Centre.
- The Council have representatives from community members, five states and 10 central departments. Its chairperson will be the Union Minister of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment while the vice-chairperson will be the junior minister in the ministry. The other members will be from the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Ministry Home Affairs, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, Minority Affairs ministry and Rural Development ministry among others.
- CHINA BUILDS ADVANCED NAVAL WARSHIPS FOR PAKISTAN
- Pakistan signed a contract with the China Shipbuilding Trading Company Ltd. (CSTC) for the delivery of two Type-054 A/P frigates in 2017. Last year, the Chinese official media reported that under a major arms deal between the two all-weather allies, China would build four advanced frigates for the Pakistan Navy.
- China has built first of the four advanced naval warships for Pakistan and launched it. The launching ceremony for the first warship was held at the Hudong Zhonghua Shipyard in Shanghai.
- The Type-054 class equipped with the latest surface, subsurface, anti-air weapons, combat management system, and sensors.
Daily Gist of ‘The Hindu’, ‘PIB’, ‘Indian Express’ and Others: 24 August, 2020
- FACELESS E-ASSESSMENT: HONOURING THE HONEST
- Regional Outreach Bureau (Maharashtra and Goa Region) and Press Information Bureau (Western Region) under the Union Ministry of Information & Broadcasting jointly organizes a webinar on ‘Faceless E-Assessment: Honouring the Honest’.
- The faceless E-Assessment system will bring about a paradigm shift by eliminating human interface in income tax assessment that will help to build trust within industry and wealth-creators.
- E-Assessment System based on algorithms and data analytics and has no human element, cases of international taxation and those requiring searches and surveys kept outside the purview of the scheme.
- MOBILE APPLICATION ‘MY IAF’
- The Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria launched a mobile application ‘MY IAF’ at Air HQs Vayu Bhawan.
- The application developed in association with the Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) provides career-related information and details for those desirous of joining the Indian Air Force (IAF).
- The user-friendly format of the app serves as a single digital platform interfacing the users with the details of the selection procedure, training curriculum, pay and perks etc for both officers and airmen in the IAF.
- MUMBAI URBAN TRANSPORT PROJECT-III
- The Government of India, the Government of Maharashtra, Mumbai Railway Vikas Corporation and the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) signed a loan agreement for a $500 million Mumbai Urban Transport Project-III to improve the network capacity, service quality and safety of the suburban railway system in Mumbai.
- The Project is expected to increase network capacity in the region with the reduction in journey time and fatal accidents of commuters.
- It is estimated that among primary beneficiaries of the project, 22% are female passengers who will benefit from improved safety and quality of service.
Daily Gist of ‘The Hindu’, ‘PIB’, ‘Indian Express’ and others: 22 August, 2020
- ATAL BIMIT VYAKTI KALYAN YOJANA
- Claims for payment of unemployment benefit under its Atal Bimit Vyakti Kalyan Yojana run by the ESIC will be settled within 15 days from the date of an application.
- The Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) had relaxed norms to double payment of unemployment benefit under the scheme to 50 per cent of average wages of three months to cope with job loss between March 24 and December 31, 2020 (this year in view of the COVID-19 pandemic).
- After December 31, 2020, the scheme will be available with original eligibility condition during the period January 1, 2021 to June 30, 2021.
- INCLUDE ALL ELIGIBLE DISABLED PERSONS UNDER NFSA, 2013
- The Government of India wrote to the State governments and the Union Territories that all the disabled persons should be included under the National Food Security Act (NFSA), 2013.
- The Atma Nirbhar Bharat Abhiyan benefits are for those persons who are not covered under the NFSA Act or Public Distribution System of States. Therefore, the disabled persons without rations cards are also eligible to receive benefits under Atma Nirbhar Bharat Abhiyaan. The scheme is to lapse on August 31, 2020.
- Therefore, the Central Government has issued an order to identify such disabled persons who do not hold ration cards and include them under NFSA, 2013. Section 10 of NFSA provides coverage of persons under Antyodaya Anna Yojana.
Daily Gist of ‘The Hindu’, ‘PIB’, ‘Indian Express’ and others: 21 August, 2020