Bank PO 2020: The Job of a Bank Probationary Officer (PO) is the most sought after job opportunity for a bank job aspirant. The reason is the great pay and the challenging work that is performed by a Bank PO. A Bank PO is the Assistant Manager of Scale I in a bank. He is a Junior Manager of Grade I scale and hence called Scale I Officer. Bank PO is basically a tough job as there are many tasks that a bank PO has to do. Although there are different segments that are allocated to PO’s.
Role of Bank PO
Bank POs are the talented young officers who have ample potential and a great zeal to work faster and perform passionately. Here are the job responsibilities of a PO in Bank.
- General Banking, administration work, and other duties that are required from time to time are performed by the officer.
- He has to work as a Public Relations Officer, handle customer complaints and address various customer related issues such as discrepancies in accounts, the rectification of undue charges, etc.
- He or she has to handle daily customer transactions like cheque passing, cash management, Draft issuance, etc.
- One of the major functions of the bank is providing loans to the needful. Before granting the loan to the customer, all the documentation is to be done under his/her supervision.
- The bank PO works in other horizons such as loan department, mortgage and finance divisions of the bank.
- The officer handles customer complaints and addresses their queries and doubts.
In metro cities, different tasks are allocated to the PO’s. It means that there are 2–3 tasks that are given to the PO as one who authorizes debit/credit transactions as well as can also operate lockers.
In rural branches where the staff is not more than 5–6, the no. of PO’s allocation is quite low say 1–2 so now the PO has to perform all the tasks at that particular branch.
Thus, we can say that a Bank PO is the basic building block of an organization as he is liable for everything, nothing is going to happen without the consent or say without the help of a PO. He also monitors and handles the branch in the absence of the concerning authority.
Bank PO Exam
Each year public sector banks, as well as the private banks, recruit a no. of bank PO’s to perform the tasks ingeniously. The Public Sector Banks participating in this process are:
- State Bank of India
- Allahabad Bank
- Bank of Baroda
- Bank of Maharashtra
- Punjab National bank
- Oriental Bank of Commerce
- ICICI Bank
- Cooperative Bank
- Cooperation Bank
- Syndicate Bank
- HDFC Bank
Salary Of Bank PO
The Bank POs are paid handsome salaries by the Banks. The basic pay of an SBI PO is Rs 23,700/. In addition to this basic pay, the officers are also eligible for Dearness Allowance (DA), House Rent Allowance (HRA), CCA, special allowance etc. The total salary thus amounts to Rs. 40,239/- per month.
It’s not just the salary that works as an incentive for the recruitment in Bank PO. Apart from the regular salary, the employee is also rendered other perks and allowances. The salary is almost the same for the post of POs in almost all the banks with a little variation with respect to the place of posting and bank.
Bank PO Perks And Allowances
- Leased Accommodation – This benefit is dependent upon the place of posting and is available to the bank officers. Some banks provide official bank accommodation/bank quarters instead of leased housing.
- Travelling Allowance – Most banks provide a fixed Traveling Allowance and reimbursement of petrol bills.
- Medical Aid – Revised price is Rs 8000/- p.a. This is the amount for the medical needs of the employee.
- Newspaper Reimbursement: A fixed monthly amount for newspaper service.
- Coverage under New Pension Scheme
Bank PO Recruitment 2020
For Bank Recruitment 2020, the two major PO Recruiters, IBPS and SBI will be releasing the notification for PO. Check out the dates given below.
|Recruiting Body||Notification Date||Exam Date|
|State Bank of India||To Be Notified||
|IBPS PO||September 2020||
|IBPS RRB PO||September 2020||
Bank PO Eligibility Criteria
Apart from the above given, the candidates must also not hold any criminal record. If found guilty, their candidature is likely to get canceled.
Bank PO Selection Process
The selection process for a bank PO is done in three stages.
The final selection is done on the basis of the marks secured by the candidates in the IBPS Mains and interview.
Bank PO Syllabus and Exam Pattern
The recruitment process to select a Probationary Officer is done in three phases:
- Online Preliminary Exam,
- Online Mains Exam and
A candidate must qualify both preliminary exam and mains exam to proceed to the interview round. The candidates selected after the interview round are given the appointment letter.
The syllabus of Bank PO exam is designed to assess the candidate’s aptitude as well as his general awareness. The preliminary paper is divided into three sections- Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning, and Verbal Ability. The mains paper consists of five sections namely General Awareness, Computer Knowledge, Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning, and Verbal Ability. This pattern again differs from bank to bank.
Bank PO Growth Prospects
The growth in this field is quick. You can be promoted to a Grade II officer within 3-5 years of your service. The Bank PO has to appear for the departmental examination to be promoted to a higher designation. The stages of promotion for a PO is given below.
- Bank PO
- Middle Manager – Middle Management Grade Scale 2
- Senior Manager – Middle Management Grade Scale 3
- Chief Manager – Senior Management Grade Scale 4
- Assistant General Manager – Senior Management Grade Scale 5
- Deputy General Manager – Top Management Grade Scale 6
- General Manager – Top Management Grade Scale 7
- Executive Director
- Chairman and Managing Director
The designation for a Bank PO is given below as per the promotional level.
Bank PO Preparation
The preparation for the Bank PO exam must be done judiciously keeping in mind the latest pattern and the syllabus of the exam. Since the syllabus covers a large number of topics, it is necessary for the candidates to choose the right set of books to prepare for their examination.
You can access Adda247 e-books & Online Mock Test Series from here.
Candidates must also go through previous years’ Bank PO question papers in order to acclimatize to the change in pattern of the exam and to know the sections from which the questions are majorly asked in the exam. One quality that is much needed to be a Bank PO is to take as many Mock Tests as possible.
Thus we can see that Bank PO is a very promising career for the youth who desire to join on a good post and make their career in Banking sector.